Sunday night we are expecting a big drop in temperatures (into the upper 20 overnight); and they're predicting at least 2 more freezing nights after that.
Somehow I think my hanging mandevilla's days are numbered.
This photo was taken in April just after I planted three small Mandevillas in one of our back yard pots.
Again, I think this one's days are also numbered.
(the coleus are already gone)
Indoors, I have pin basted Kefi - it has only been waiting since summer 2022.
I've decided to quilt it using a very soft pink thread - hope to have a finish to share before the coming week is over.
One of the less fun tasks after quilting your own quilts is dealing with the excess pieces of batting.
My Hobbs 80/20 comes on a big roll - 96" width folded in half.
The photo above shows leftovers from the last eight quilts after being trimmed to a uniform 62" width.
After I attach all eight random lengths together, there will be a total of 160"
That's enough for one Macnas quilt and with one additional cut off, enough for a second Macnas quilt.
This is what I use to attach the 62" edges - I've had good luck with this over the years and I find the frankenbatt lays much flatter than if I try to stitch the long edges.
* * *
And so you can plan ahead, Saturday November 13 is World Kindness Day AND World Cardigan Day (think Mr. Rogers Neighborhood).
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"There are three ways to ultimate success: The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind."
Mister Rogers
11 comments:
It's hard to give up on the beautiful plants outside, but you are right, it's going to be COLD. I expect to see the rest of my hostas flat on the ground.
Hey Julie, Jan O has info on frankenbatting using a less expensive way. I don’t frankenbatt, a luxury I grant myself and instead give my cutoffs to Jan 🤣🤣.
kefi is sooo gorgeous!
Like you, I splice batting offcuts together using batting tape. My quilt club's charity committee bought a bolt of very lightweight fusible interfacing and we used a die cutter to cut it lengthwise into 1-1/2" strips. We ended up with a lifetime supply of batting tape for mere pennies a yard.
Kefi is so pretty. It’s fun to see those fabric bits again!!
It's probably too late since your cold snap has already arrived, but you can overwinter Mandevilla inside. You can prune it back now and then again in the spring when it's time to go outside again. on the other hand, it's simpler to just treat it as an anuula and buy new ones in the spring.
Pat
Kefi is such a lovely piece--it will be nice to see it all quilted;)))
I am still working along slowly on "Sunrise, Sunset"--a balancing act between wanting to finish and keeping my hands from cramping up!!
I am not a fan of this time change--give me one or the other and keep it the same year long!! Always an off-kilter feeling week...
Hugs, Julierose
Kefi is gorgeous!! I'm looking forward to seeing it after its quilted.
I use my small off-cuts of fusible batting for "I Found A Quilted Heart" pieced hearts that uses up lots of my scrap fabrics but still have far too many fabric scraps!
Our Monday night low has gone from 21*F and possible snow to no snow and 29*F. Cozy clothes in layers plus hot soup are the ticket.
Hugs!
Oh I had a beautiful Mandeville for years that my daughter gave me on a mother's day. I used to cut it back and bring inside for the winter and put in sunny south window. Then one year when hubby was in hospital it did not get brought inside before hard frost and died. To everything there is a season. Here I was working outside in short sleeves one day and a couple days later (yesterday) I woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground.
I forgot to say that my cutting mat is only 18 x 24 so I have a tough time cutting large pieces of anything evenly. I used to try zigzagging batting strips together but my sewing machine didn't really like quilting over those spots a lot of the time. I use a very light weight batting for comfort quilts and have found I can just slightly overlap pieces and quilt over. With my Hobbs Heirloom batting I butt pieces up next to each other and hand stitch together with chevron stitch. I haven't tried the tape.
I believe you're right about the Mandevillas; COLD here this morning too! I've been out digging up the dahlia tubers and readying my geraniums for dry-root saving over the winter. I've managed to cut back as much as I can in the Perennial Garden as I put it to rest for the winter. I NEED to get back in the sewing room! I'll wear a cardigan on Saturday and be kind, thanks for the notice. ;)
Post a Comment