Sunday, October 12, 2025

Small Finish to Share


I cut a 40" length from the 115" panel and made myself a new utility mat to cover my keyboard overnight - it lights up when the computer does its automatic back up at midnight throwing a lot of unnecessary light into the darkness.

I had an older runner that I've used for years (near-solid black with oversized flying geese) and realized last week that I wanted something with a happier vibe.


I backed the runner with a WOF cut from one of KF's prints adding the pinkish feathers on black to enlarge the backing for quilting purposes.  

Before changing Max's thread for Vellichor's adventure under the needle, I went ahead and quilted the runner using the Amethyst from Esperance.


During the daytime, the runner hangs over the back of my computer chair.

The quilt on the wall behind my monitor is one of three that I made during Vicki's 2014 HSTeria QAL.  Two of the three were gifted but Oasis has continued to live with us.  


Elsewhere in the house, our October seasonal decor is being enjoyed.

There are fairy lights in the wicker basket from DH's mom's house, the wood vessel that DH made, and in the white tulle runner that lives on the mantel.  With darkness arriving earlier and earlier each day, I greatly appreciate these little lights.


The buffet in the dining room - I re-discovered the long runner I made years ago with leftover pieces of Marcia Derse fabrics and love how it suits this month's colors.


The quilt many of those leftovers came from is on the foyer chair.  The old green cabinet houses many of DH's most detailed wood art pieces (you can see more detailed photos of his work on his blog).

* * *

Time and easy access to my studio rooms were pretty limited over the past few days due to the stairway wall in the foyer and the entire upstairs hallway being painted.  Hoping to get back to stitching this coming week.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We do not escape into philosophy, psychology, and art; we go there to restore our shattered selves into wholes."
Anais Nin 

5 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

The KF backing fabric on your keyboard cover is one of my all time favorite prints of his. Sparked joy just seeing it on your blog :-)

Julierose said...

Love how your runners look, QD Julie;000 The one on your chair is so happy!! And the MD one is perfect for this time of year. Nice to re-discover items like that;)))) Hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

The light that comes from appliances is particularly glaring. My kitchen screams blue light from the stove, the microwave and the coffee maker. I ended up using black electrical tape put into the panel of the coffee maker, but I need to see the display of the others when cooking. For some reason, blue light is very intense. Love the keyboard cover and the Marcia Derse scrap quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is definitely a happy runner! Amethyst is a good color thread for quilting on multicolor as it blends into all of the prints.

Barbara Anne said...

Love your cheery new keyboard cover and the many wonderful autumn touches in your home! What a good idea to have the lights in the tulle on the mantel and in the baskets!
Your DH's wooden creations are incredible!

Hugs!