Saturday, October 4, 2025

Esperance - the Quilt


I first posted about Esperance HERE.    

Looking at the finished quilt I can't help but notice how the colors are so like the colors I chose for my cardboard class journal  and several of my previous junque journals. 

Clearly these are "my"colors.


Here's a closer look at some of the many fabrics in the quilt's top.  

I posted HERE about the flimsy's finish.


And THIS is the quilt's scrappy back.   

I shared this post when the back was sewn together.


I really like this detail photo of the wind-positioned back

You can also see how well the front and back play together since the wind flipped over the one corner.



And finally an indoor folded photo showing the texture of the liberated free motion nested spirals.  I used Glide Amethyst on top and bobbin threads in Amethyst and Baby Pink.  

* * *

Takeaways from this quilt - I absolutely love making this kind of  loosely-controlled scrappy, use-up-the-leftovers, kind of quilt.   While I appreciate the coin-style organization of the front, it is the free-wheeling joy of the back that makes me the happiest.  

Which means it is time to start another box for leftovers . . . 

In the meantime, I will spend an afternoon (or two) playing with the  leftovers trimmed from the backing of Esperance.  I previously made this runner but with the leftovers from that runner and the newly-trimmed pieces I hope to make another squirrel-encouraged mat or runner before I get back to finishing the top for Incandescent and quilting Vellichor.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Happiness is a field of tulips, each petal a burst of joy in the garden of life."
Emily Dickinson

12 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

wow...love love love it!

Barbara Anne said...

If this marvelous, very, very colorful and joyful quilt contains your favorite colors, I'd say you love all colors!! Me, too.

Hugs!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

You may call it Esperance, if you must; however, I shall call it Mardi Gras. Bravo -- it's a delight!

Julierose said...

What a happy quilt you've made, QDJulie--The colors just sing together!! Beautiful work ;)))) I just love this stunner!!!
hugs, Julierose

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I love this quilt - so vibrant and cheerful!

Cathy said...

What a fabulous two sided quilt in YOUR colors!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Maybe the back is the front.........

Nancy said...

Leftovers never looked so good!

Ginny Clyne said...

The back is as beautiful as the front. I agree with Cathy and others who said it is a 2 sided quilt.

Nann said...

Definitely two-sided -- vibrant color and pattern -- Kaffe should publish you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what a fun one -a nd the back is SUPER cool!!!

Vicki W said...

The joy comes through loud and clear on this one!