Wednesday, August 27, 2025

Permission to Play with Carolyn Dube


I've been on a bit of a play break so I could take part in a free online workshop with Carolyn Dube.

We started with a cardboard box, white gesso, and colorful paints of our choosing.


Here's the link to her classes in case you're curious.  


Carolyn uses a LOT of stenciling but I don't - so I went my own way with extra collage.


No rules -- just play time and a chance to use some bits and pieces in the stash.


In my case, tissue paper circles, stamps, and bits of book text/maps/sheet music/etc.


I've started using only book text in foreign languages (aside from dictionary pages).  

Why?  So I don't agonize that the words and story line convey something I don't intend (it's a personal quirk).

And then there's also the happy fact that foreign language books at the library's thrift area are priced at $1/book since not too many folks are looking for German or Italian or Greek (etc.) for their leisure reading.


I was tickled when the postmark on the stamp matched the size of the circle I'd marked around the flower's center.


I went with a consistent group of paint colors throughout my double-sided pages.

Why?  Trying to make even more decisions interrupted my sense of playtime.


This side will function as the back cover.  

I need to bind the nine pieces of cardboard (18 sides) into a journal but that will happen tomorrow since tonight we're doing a mid-week family dinner to celebrate elder son's birthday.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Almost all creativity involves purposeful play."
Abraham Maslow

4 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

How delightful and I so agree that you don't need to make a new decision every step of the way. Broadly applicable decisions let you play without interruption - like kids play!
Happy birthday to your DS1!!

Hugs!

Julierose said...

Love the "messy" art;))) Sounds like a fun workshop..
.hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love all the mess! The more stuff working out, the better. Finished sewing the teacups with your blue and white sashing today- now to figure out the border!

LA Paylor said...

I love doing mixed media, yours is fun and exciting! Great job
LeeAnna