Tuesday, September 30, 2025

I'm Still Making


The second large section of Incandescent has been sewn together.  There is one more section with five rows and then the three sections can be turned into a quilt top.

When I pulled the October decor out of the attic closet that runs alongside my studio, I was delighted at how well the autumn oranges play with the colors on the design wall.  

Now I know the gift recipient of this someday-finished quilt is going to love it even more.


Earlier this month I mentioned a stalled altered book I'm working on that started with an aging Nancy Drew mystery that YS found in a nearby Little Free Library.

I've painted the front cover, leaving only Nancy's face and added some cut out words to break up the negative space.  The words below her neckline are 'remembering what matters.'

I've named this journal AN UNFOLDING STORY.


Inside the front cover - I kept the title page of the book and will keep it tucked in the pocket along with a card that includes the project's pertinent facts.


Each page has been collaged with a thin book page (most all in a mix of foreign languages) and I've started adding quotes and random passages I'd saved for 'someday' here and there within the book.


The addition of additional ephemera and text will be a longer term effort - I'll add bits and pieces as I come across things I want to preserve.

The idea for this journal came from a recent series of posts and videos from Meg of megjournals sharing the evolution of her 'creative commonplace' journal (a blend that includes elements from the traditional commonplace book as well as junque journaling).   

The part that makes me the happiest is that I am finally getting over my personal hangup about using my own handwriting/printing and adding it directly onto the book's pages instead of prepping it first and then gluing it into the book.  That's huge progress for me.


I also created my shipping tag for the Full Deck Challenge's week 39 prompt - stars.

I love this washi tape and it couldn't be more perfect for the prompt.  I added some additional sparkly stars using nail decals I picked up at one of the local 'dollar' type stores.


On the reverse I added five more sparkly stars and one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes quotes - "If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I bet they'd live a lot differently.  When you look into infinity, you realize there are more important things than what people do all day."

* * *

With the imminent arrival of October, I've realized I need to get Esperance quilted.  I want to get Coddiwomple quilted/finished along with Macnas-inspired No. 5 Vellichor so they can be used during the next couple of months before it's time to unpack the Christmas decor.  

Looks like I need to cut back on my daytime reading and spend a bit more time in the studio . . . 


Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

I haven’t read a book since I started listening to audiobooks. I feel like I’m being lazy if I sit and read when I can listen and do things at the same time. I can’t listen while I’m cutting fabric or reading blogs but I can doing pretty much everything else. I have such fond memories of reading Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon and Hardy Boy mysteries.

Julierose said...

You've gotten a lot done--Incandescent is looking so pretty--
I have decided to make my 60th anniversary pieces into a fabric book and continue to add pages ...I think they would work better in that medium...plus I love working in fabric books...
Your altered book is really looking super...nice pages in process...
Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

I cannot do anything if I listen to audiobooks but can listen to music CDs and accomplish things.
Count me in with Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, The Hardy Boys, Cherry Ames (student nurse as I aspired to be!), and others.
Love your starry card and quotations and am glad your lovely handwriting will be part of your interesting journals.
Hope you get those quilts finished soon and how handy to have the machine to use for that purpose!
Isn't it fun when your quilt sings a season?!

Hugs!

Ann said...

I can't listen to audiobooks except when traveling long distances in rural areas. But weren't those series fun. We were lucky. Congratulations on your quilt progress.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I keep thinking of making a "hot" quilt and the one you're making is looking good, Julie! Glad you made progress on your altered book journal and got a tag done, too. Have fun with Max in the next round of quilting!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Incandescent looks amazing next to your fall decor!!! ( I think it just got added to my bucket list!)