Over the past couple of weeks, I've been following along with Brooke Henry's BB Bash 2025. She structured the series with five prompts. I used those as jumping off points and made four small journals.
The first prompt was MESSY. We all know I'm not a very messy person but I totally get the idea of letting go and getting into the zone. So instead of paint and markers, I used a leftover mailing envelope, a long-stashed piece of wallpaper, and some papers from my stash to make a tall but skinny soft-cover journal named NOT SO MESSY.
I filled the pages with random stuff from the stash. There's an oblique connection between the items on each page - some are more obvious than others.
The second prompt was REPETITION.
I grabbed a small drawing pad and used it to create an index of the different patterns on my security envelope stash. I named it SNAIL MAIL in honor of the random sticker I found in my box.
I was actually surprised at how many different ones there were. On each page, one pattern repeats from the previous page and the other is new.
There's room in the spiral pad to add more if they happen to show up in our mail.
The third prompt was SCRAPPY. We all know I'm good with that concept.
I used this as an opportunity to make an envelope journal named THIS IS A TEST and fill it with scrappy stuff.
Each of the ten envelopes holds a floral postcard with scraps glued on the back.
The watercolor swatch pieces were from a long abandoned project.
The fourth prompt was DETAIL and the fifth prompt was COMBINE.
I incorporated lots of details as I combined a lot of random bits and pieces into a finished junque journal that I named ABANDONED (inspired by this snippet from the selvage of a Tim Holz fabric).
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"It's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
Marilyn Monroe
7 comments:
Julie I love this first prompt result, and yes we do know you're not a very messy person but what a fantastic journal you've created, perfectly named! You obviously have an amazing imagination to create all these journals, I honestly wouldn't have known where to begin. The take away is, as you said, you had fun playing.
Wonderful playtime in your journals, QD Julie;))) It's so nice to be able to change up to paper in between quilting times...
I re-organized my paper stuff (and now, I cannot "find" anything--sometimes I think re-org is not so great!! S I G H ). Just working in my Junque Journal in which I have prepped a lot of pages ahead of time...hugs, Julierose
"Security envelope stash." Now, that's a niche! (And it had never occurred to me to pay attention to that.) I like all your responses to the prompts.
I am also not messy but I do love glue and sticking fun things to paper. I am starting a small, scrappy journal this month and looking forward to I
Using some of the fun bits that I have been collecting.
Don't you love your boundless creativity, ideas, and stash of ephemera?!! Applause, applause!
Hugs!
This process completely fascinates me. You are amazing! I could, potentially, think of items to embellish and incorporate into an illustration dictated by such a defined prompt but I doubt that I could ever put my hands on those things to make it happen. Not that I am too disorganized to find them but, rather, that I've likely never held on to them in the first place! Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy in that regard. You are truly an inspiration!
What an interesting way to use Brooke's prompts, Julie! I thoroughly enjoy watching Brooke work, however, I only completed a couple of the "lessons".
Post a Comment