Saturday, January 11, 2025

Snow Day

The second Christmas cactus continues to outdo itself with blossoms.

And if you look beyond those blooms you will see snow.  We had roughly five inches in our yard, which is a lot for this area.



Wet snow makes for the prettiest trees.


Our back yard patio table and chairs (photographed from the kitchen window).

Predicted temperatures are well below freezing at night but in the upper 30s/lower 40s during the sunny daytime.  We'll follow that same daytime thaw and nighttime freeze pattern for the next several days, so it won't be long before the joy of a snow day fades back into normal routines.

I spent much of my snow day in the studio.

One of the bigger items accomplished was piecing and pressing the backing for Repose. (see previous post for the quilt top)

I also cleared everything off the cutting table (taking time to put things away correctly, not just piling them elsewhere) so I could pin baste Logophile. (you can read its backstory by clicking on the label at the end of this post)










Mission accomplished.  

With the pool noodles emptied, I will noodle-roll the freshly pressed top and back for Repose and bypass the typical waiting to be quilted closet stage.

* * *

With three weeks left in January, I'm sure I will get Logophile quilted/bound.  

The birthday placemats will likely come next as they're already pin basted.

If all goes well, maybe I can even get Repose pin basted, quilted, and bound before month end.  Maybe.

Quiltdivajulie


6 comments:

Julierose said...

Love that lily pond backing--so vibrant and pretty!!
You are getting back into your groove with quilting for sure...
I will spend my afternoon un-pinning Strawberries to see what is causing the bunching/rippling effect...maybe a good strong press will fix it up...enjoy the snow while it lasts--we are having just a few little flurries...hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

Surely two of the sweetest words have to be "Snow Day" and I well remember when they were much more common in Memphis, just a bit since dinosaurs walked the planet. :-)
Well done on your accomplishments as you move quilt tops and birthday placemats toward completion!! May your energy and your joints let you do all you want to do.
We've gotten about 10" of snow since Sunday night/Monday and last night's snowfall. Much of the earlier snow is frozen under the new snow but all should melt in the coming week when daytime highs reach 40*F to 48*F. We haven't had this much snow in years and need to buy more bird seed.

Hugs!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The snow is so pretty and mostly landed in areas that will get thawing temperatures soon. We have one day of above freezing forecast for next weekend so we're lucky we didn't get the deep snow.

ButterZ said...

Yours now photos are very pretty considering we have between 100-106*F. Love Repose… Can you show a picture of the pins you are using to baste it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck getting those projects done by the end of the month, Julie!

Mary Ellen said...

Love snow! Especially as I'm retired and don't have to drive in it. We had freezing rain first so there is ice under the snow. Kinda treacherous.