Saturday, January 4, 2025

Looking Ahead


Christmas is packed away for another year and since then we have been deep cleaning the house.  I hadn't done any dusting since before my foot surgery in mid-October.  Amazing how much dust accumulated in 10 weeks!  

Frequent rest breaks gave me a chance to think about how I want to proceed with my quilts and paper in 2025 and I think I've figured out a general "game plan" (subject to redirection, as always).


(above - my new tea break set up in the design studio)

I am participating in the Create 365 Somethings in 2025 challenge. 

You can read iHanna's introductory post HERE.

You can read Tammy Garcia's (Daisy Yellow's) introductory post to her 365 Somethings with a Twist is HERE.  

As you may have guessed, I'll be using Tammy's Fractional Approach!


(above - the second blooming Christmas Cactus)

On my list of projects that will "count" . . . 
  • Placemats (6 birthday and maybe others)
  • Completed quilt tops (who knows how many)
  • Finished quilts (there are 14 currently in the queue)
  • A new wall quilt for February (awesome panel on order)
  • Two themed journals - "Bookish" and "Squirrely" 
  • Greeting cards for birthdays and anniversaries
  • Slow stitching projects to reduce doom scrolling (things like inserts for those cards)
  • and the Full Deck Challenge 3 hosted by ShanoukiArt on You Tube (I plan to use Kraft paper shipping tags instead of playing cards and my goal is to make one shipping tag using "paper" and a second shipping tag with "fabric" each week)
If I don't make 365, that's okay so long as I PLAY more and PLAN less.


(above - the heavily flowering amaryllis)

This month, I'm also very loosely following along with Karen Brown's 5th annual decluttering challenge.

Many of her prompts really don't apply to me (i.e., magazines).  But others like deep cleaning the studio and seriously looking at fabric pulls, UFOs, and the like in order to decide which ones are WANT TO MAKE absolutely apply.  

* * *

Bottom line - the studio squirrels are hard at work suggesting new ideas and while I plan to listen and explore their thoughts, exactly how my creative year unfolds is going to be an adventure.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"You owe it to all of us and yourself to get on with what you're good at."
W.H. Auden

12 comments:

Jeanne said...

Your pink amaryllis is stunning! Good luck with fun stuff in 2025! :)

Julierose said...

I think that amaryllis is amazing--what variety is it???
You have a good plan set up for 2025...I am still "pfoofing" about with what to do, make, etc. I don't do well with year-long SALs myself, but do love watching what others accomplish...;)))
Glad to see you can about better these days...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Oh, such beautiful blooms in your house! That Amaryllis is really outdoing itself, so beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

PLAY more, PLAN less... LOVE it!!! IF there is a chance I might play along, it would definitely be Tammy's version of the challenge. I'm not sure that I have it in me to commit this year.

Anonymous said...

I sent you a squirrel project…hee hee. Cheers, Louise

Barbara Anne said...

Lovely blooms and even lovelier plans to play, be creative, and listen to your inner guru for new ideas!
Will look at the links shortly, but our grocery order is here - ahead of the wintery mix and snow forecast for tomorrow night, Monday, and Monday night.

Hugs!

MissPat said...

I thought your Christmas cactus was so full of blooms, but then came that amaryllis. Oh my. My Christmas cacti are mostly done (except for the true Christmas cacti which have just started). I didn't plant an amaryllis this year and the ones forgotten in the basement seem to be ready for the compost pile.
I know I'd never be able to stick with a 365 project, but it will be fun to follow what others are doing.
Pat

Robin said...

Love the purple hourglass units in that first quilt picture. I'm not much of a purple person but that quilt hits all the right buttons.
Your amaryllis is absolutely delightful! The thing about dust is it never complains about being left to pile up.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, my Christmas stuff is not put away. It went up late. I am also doing the Declutter Challenge and and am up to date and beat. All those decisions moving things. One thing gets moved and then stuff is all over. I am supposed to reward myself with 30 min. of sewing, but I take a nap. I have a pile of quilt pattern and ideas that I want to pull from from projects like you have, but they are daunting.

Cherie Moore said...

Love your opening quote! We are at our cabin in CA for the month of January so I tidied up the quilt studio before I left. First item on the agenda when we return is to take a serious look at the ufo’s and fabric pulls. I’ll make a list and check it twice (couldn’t resist the holiday reference) to see which ones stay and which ones go. I want to use up fabric and create some breathing room in the studio. It will be fun to watch your 2025 creative endeavors.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely mix here in your post, I have visited all mentioned and can see we're going to be seeing more exciting things coming along in your posts over the next 12 months. The Decluttering challenge held my attention, like yourself though I certainly wouldn't be following everything recommended, I am working a little today here and there on one of the suggestions.

iHanna said...

Delighted that you are doing a 365. I'd suggest that you keep a calendar with marks on every day you work on something creative OR a running list of things finished for the 365, to track it, but of course I like that sort of thing and you might not. In any case, happy creating!