Wednesday, January 29, 2025

Another Macnas Series Quilt Begins

I've shared a version of this photo before (click HERE) .

Last weekend, the waiting piles of fabric  annoyed me to the point I've started methodically cutting them for their intended projects.



Grandiose (named for the backing fabric by Philip Jacobs) was the first under the rotary cutter.



Grandiose will be the eighth quilt in my Macnas series of twelve.  In this case, I will use the chartreuse rectangles in place of my usual lower volume neutral.

(there's a full list of Macnas series quilts in the sidebar if you're curious and no, I did not start out thinking this design would become a series of quilts, but it most certainly has)

The Marimekko stripe at the top of this photo was gifted by Nann - it will make amazing binding when the time comes.

By the time I was finished cutting, there were lots of end cuts, all 2.5" wide, so I sewed them into one really long strip.

There were also lots of clean cuts and leftover pieces of the various fabrics, so those were sewn into strata.

Once it was all put together, I had a slab 37" by 38" - perfect for making four placemats for Nann's Valentine's Day 2026 project.









After a bit of stash searching, I chose this Needle Stars-Chandelier yardage by Paula Nadlestern for backing and binding.

SO much better than tossing all those beautiful bits into the trash! 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------



10 comments:

ButterZ said...

Good use of scraps for the placemats.

Julierose said...

Yes lovely placemats for sure;))) Your color sense is wonderful, QDJulie..and that Macnas series is amazing...nice to have all that cutting done and pieces all ready to sew. hugs, Julierose

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Amazing (and you know I do not use that word lightly).

cityquilter grace said...

lovely colors...some of my faves...yes that nann is a keeper for sure

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can already tell that I'm going to love this quilt, Julie. FYI... for some reason, I'm no longer able to access Nann's blog. I've tried on my phone and on my computer with no success. I was looking forward to reading about her Valentine's project.

Juliann in WA said...

Those colors are bringing a lot of cheer to my screen this morning

Linda Swanekamp said...

Inspirational group of fabrics, colors and possibilities. Such a joy to look at.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Sometimes playing with the scraps is more fun than the quilt. Pretty colors.

Nann said...

Oh, awesome! I love, love that color combination. And TIA for the placemats.

Nancy said...

Fabulous fabrics! And your 'bonus" fabric for placemats worked out beautifully.