Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Hoppipolla - the Quilt


Started in January 2021, Hoppipolla is now a finished quilt.

(you can read about its long and winding back story in this post or use the Hoppipolla label below my signature to see all previous posts for this Etcetera Series project)


Hoppipolla is an Icelandic verb that means "jumping into puddles" -- or perhaps this quilt and its making are better described with this Dr. Seuss quote:

"If you never did 
You should.  
These things are fun and 
Fun is good."


I will be forever grateful that I waited and listened to this quilt so the borders and backing were changed.  

I never loved the quilt before, but I surely do now.


The backing is one I purchased on Etsy in January 2022 (for a different project, of course), named "number 7" by DE LEON DESIGN GROUP for Alexander Henry - 2015.

I loved it from the moment I saw it and am over the moon that it has found its forever home in this quilt.


Quilted with my liberated free motion all-over spiral fans using Glide thread in Warm Grey 4.

The finished quilt measures 50" x 68"

As Yoda would say, "Happy I Am."



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Whatever makes you feel the sun from the inside out chase that."
Gemma Troy

9 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Oh my goodness, I just noticed the sewing squirrels on your side bar :). Too funny! I love the No. 7 backing fabric, too.

cityquilter grace said...

a very gorgeous scrappy!

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish, QDJulie!!:))) I really love that backing fabric, too...It fits perfectly with the rail fences on the front...nice work
Stay cool as you can....hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

What a completely delightful color happy quilt! You should be over the moon joyful with it!

Hugs!

Meredith said...

This is just wonderful! Love, love the backing, too. Such a fun quilt!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love it when the backing is waiting in the stash and is perfect for the quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your latest super scrappy quilt finish, Julie! What a fun walk down memory lane the making must have been. The juxtaposition of the colorful front and calm back feels just right for this quilt.

Sally Langston Warren said...

The new border makes such a difference! Who would have thought going from a colorful border to a neutral one would make the quilt come alive? I really like the change! And the backing is perfect! Congratulations on this beautiful finish.

Julierose said...

Just love this little rail fence quilt you've finished, QDJulie---What a gorgeously scrappy quilt...This looks like a fun one to make..hmmmm Hugs, Julirose