The blocks for Brumous, the new January kitchen table quilt, are made and up on the design wall.
I want to do some re-arranging to eliminate the too dark blobs before clipping the blocks together so I can web the quilt top.
Gnomeville, the January dining room wall quilt, is pin basted (at long last).
And Inglenook is finally pin basted as well.
By chance, I happened upon the website of Ali Manning - Vintage Page Designs and the Handmade Book Club.
I watched her washi tape journal mini class and had a brainstorm.
What if I took five of my old daily stitching progress journals (that I've never once referred back to) and used them to make ROYGBIV journals/glue books as a long term project (and as a way to use up the Rolodex color wheel snippets once that project is done).
I used her method and some of my washi tape to transform the covers.
I have set aside a small basket for each of these so I can add bits and pieces as I find them - but I have promised myself I won't start in earnest until the 207 remaining pairs of Rolodex cards are collaged.
On a related note, does anyone else feel guilty when they pull colorful Color Catchers from the washer and go to toss them in the trash?
I have kept some of mine but wasn't sure how to use them for anything.
Until now.
Another washi tape journal cover with a repurposed file folder as the base is drying as I type.
Here's the inside cover.
I think I might stitch some fabric snippets to the sheets before the two signatures (total of 8 color catchers) are sewn into the cover.
Time will tell.
For now, it is back to the sewing studio . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"An artist is an explorer."
Henri Matisse







9 comments:
I really love that Brumous pattern--the diagonal lines really stand out beautifully--nice work on this one!
Great washi tape method for covers--they look really nice....
I haven't gotten back to my sewing room --we are having a recuperation day from hosting our family's get together yesterday--wonderful time, but we are totally beat!! Sit-down dinners take a lot of prep for so many people...I think this one was our "last hurrah"...;)))
Hugs, Julierose
Inglenook is my favorite!!
Brumous and Gnomeville are both looking good - almost at the finish line now with the two of them. Love the mix of widths in Inglenook, and to end up the post more of your adventures with paper and journals.
Congrats on your quilt progress and those new journals, too! I made one of Ali's washi covered journals and I think you will like your application of the idea much better, Julie. It was fun to spot a collection of washi that I have in my stash, too!
Darn. Now I'm wanting to start buying washi tape. And keep color catchers.
I confess that until now, the only thought I've had when seeing the catchers come out of the wash is "Woah! So glad I remembered to use them."
I see a lot of time with Max in your future! When you first posted the colors for Brumous, I thought they would be dull, but it's an oddly intriguing quilt. It's surprising. Very nice, and perfect for January. I have thought about reusing color catchers, too, but what a genius way to repurpose them!
I absolutely love Brumous!
The way the corners dance along the diagonal -- so exciting!
Applause, applause!!
A friend in Australia is using dryer fluff in her art quilts and the note cards she makes and sells.
Hugs!
Post a Comment