Monday, October 9, 2023

Decision and Forward Motion


So how do you go from those incredibly long strips of sewn together segments to a finished block?

In the case of DD 12, I measure out 14" (ISH) lengths and separate (tug apart) the long strip of segments at the 1.5" seam line on or just beyond the 14" mark.

The shorter strips are then pressed and stacked ready for layout.


The prepared strips are then sewn into slabs of 14 (above).

I finger press each seam and tug out any errant threads as I work to make the pressing easier and to save de-threading time later.

Once the 14 strips are all sewn together, I iron/press the slab before using my 12.5" ruler to square it into a block.


The decision mentioned in the post's title is to go with the 2.5" cut sashing.  

(I've unstitched and removed the 2" cut test strip shown in the previous post)

Even with only these first five blocks on the wall, I like the weightier sashing.


These three sashing strips came from my 2.5' WOF test strip - but I'm not going to cut any others until all 20 blocks are on the design wall.

I'm also going to wait on the cornerstones, just in case I change my mind.

* * *

I am SO loving these scrappy colors.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Don't ever be ashamed of loving the strange things that make your weird little heart happy."
Elizabeth Gilbert

7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

wowza! that is one scrappy color extravaganza!

Julierose said...

This is looking so great, QDJulie;))) Love the wider sashing and that color--nice WIP
Hugs, Julierose

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

One wouldn't think that a very small difference in the width of the sashing would matter so very much, but there you have it. I sometimes have to remind myself that 2-1/2" isn't the ONLY sashing width!

Nann said...

Sometimes it's confusing to put up a sash at X width and then envision it 1/2" smaller when sewn. I'm currently confronting the 1-1/2" strip bin and figuring out what to do with smaller lengths. Thanks for the idea.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I like the quilt that is your inspiration and now what you are creating yourself. You have a lot of beautifully vibrant strings. Love the quotes you put in your posts too. Thanks and happy stitching!

Barbara Anne said...

Thanks for the clear explanation of your process and I love that you leave yourself ways to change your mind without the use of the seam ripper more often than necessary!

What happy colors that are growing into a happy quilt. How will LM let this one go?!

Hugs!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like it's going to be a fun quilt, Julie!!