Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Catching Up and Regrouping


Most of the picking up and putting away after our three weeks with LM here is done, but none of us are really back in the groove just yet.  

I pulled out my bag of Scrabble tiles and am going to make some sort of framed piece to hang on the wall in my studio (and yes, I know "eclectic" needs another C tile).


I've also started on a scrappy journal for my sister's upcoming ending-in-5 milestone birthday.  

This is the page this is folded to go inside the library card pocket on the inside of the front cover.


Here it is inside the pocket.  

I used the strip of music paper to reinforce the spine.


And here is what I put on the inside of the back cover.

The scrappy paper signatures were sewn in place after this photo was taken so now I am working on the collage elements.

Her birthday is next week - so I need to get this finished and in the mail soon.


I've also started saving my tea bags to use as part of a longer term project next year, possibly the 100 Day Project or maybe the Index-Card-a-Day (ICAD).  


To that end I cut up leftover scrapbook paper (card stock weight) to use as the bases. 

These measure 4.5" x 6.5" each and there are just over 100 of them.

Once they're completed, I'll punch a hole in each so they can become part of my "Rings of Things" collection (display idea inspired by Wendy of Willa Wanders).

* * *

P.S.  The street stabilization effort is completed and the asphalt crews started work today to repave our streets.  Once they are finished I think all of us will need to do a lot of pressure washing to get rid of the residual dust, dirt, and grime (the parts that a recent rain storm didn't wash away).


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Perfectionism is the enemy of art; it stifles the creative impulse."
Julia Cameron

8 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

What a precious book for memories you're making for your sister. I recognize those green stamps and helped my mother as well as my newlywed self to save them and swap the filled books in the store. We still use two of the lamps we got with green stamps!

Love the quote and it's so true.

Isn't it a joy to be creative in so many different ways?

Hugs!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The scrapbook for your sister will be loved and treasured. I'm confused about the saved tea bags but I'm sure that all will be revealed in due time- can't wait!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Omigosh! Green stamps! I saved and got so many cool things with them! Picnic items, towels, etc. that I put away and used when I moved out on my own. I just loved going to the Green Stamp redemption center. I used to use tea bags from chai tea in my cards as they were such a lovely color and smelled divinely. You must have had a lot of fun.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck with finishing your sister's birthday gift, Julie! Road work at your house, too? The curbing machine was out front yesterday and we are banished from our driveway for 3 or 4 days.

Nann said...

The journal will be charming keepsake. (You know I am partial to pockets in books!)

Barb N. said...

S&H green stamps, holy cow where'd you get those? I saved up ous when I was 10 or 11 to buy a Wilson tennis racket (which is probably somewhere out in the garage). This scrapbook will be loved!

Nancy said...

What a treasure this journal will be! You have so many terrific bits-green stamps, primary reader, scrabble tiles, sheet music. What fun to make and to receive. Between fabrics and journal bits, I suspect your crafting area looks a lot like mine- lots and lots of stuff. Saving tea bags- now that's interesting.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the colours of your cut up scrapbook papers! and I'm looking forward to seeing your project using these. Now, the tea
bag project I'm looking forward to seeing on the blog here.