Friday, June 9, 2023

Rolodex Update


Before I begin sharing my gradual return to the sewing machine, I'll share this update on my Color Wheel rolodex project.

Here I tried using my glue stick to add a strip of frayed fabric - I was surprised at how well it adhered.


I also used some leftover strips of scrapbook paper and tried stitching skinny strips of fabric to them.

These will be chopped into shorter lengths and glued in place as I work my way through the rest of the cards in the various color groups.  

I may not use all of them but I proved to myself that my idea would work.


I have finished all of the color section divider cards using punch cut paint chip circles to cover the letters on the alphabet dividers that came with the unit.

Here's a 30 second flip through (twice around) so you can see how they look.

CLICK HERE to see the video on DH's You Tube channel.


And finally I pulled all the blank cards out and spent several hours working through the different color groups to find background papers and sort all the little extras (stamps, etc.).

This is how the rolodex looks with only the divider cards.

Over the coming weeks (and probably months) I'll make a few cards at a time and gradually re-fill the voids between the dividers.  

I'll also be on the lookout for more interesting bits to add to the mix.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We spend too much time in our heads.  Analyzing.  Wondering.  Asking. Planning.  Stop.  Come back to here, now.  Where I am it is mid-afternoon in late summer.  The sunlight is flooding the grass and ground.  It feels still.  And that's all there is for now. And all is well."
Victoria Erickson

3 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice work on these Rolo cards, Julie.;))) Love the strips idea--I often use Fabri-Fix to adhere fabric to paper...it's gooey, but really holds well...

I have begun working in my Altered Book Junk Journal--such a nice change to work with papers...I find it super calming...I am also slowly getting back into sewing..
Hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

You can also sew pieced fabrics to your paper to create what is called snippet strips. Alternatively, you could use a strip of fabric for a base to sew on bits of paper for a similar effect. Congrats on getting all of your color dividers done, Julie!

Ann said...

Such a clever project, Julie. You are thinking out of the box in ways I wish I was. My dad had a Rolodex that Mother inherited but I don’t think we kept it.