You can use the RIDENT label at the end of this post to read my previous posts for this big brother quilt for the older child of our youngest nephew and his wife. Baby No. 2 is due in April (that quilt - Ohana - is made but needs to be quilted).
Tuesday evening I pulled these strips out of the closet planning to use them for mindless evening stitching, only to discover I had less than half of what was needed for the pattern I'd chosen.
Serious OOPS.
So I had to do a bit of quick thinking, which isn't always easy in the evening when I've already used most of my daily allotment of brain cells.
I pulled the shorter pieces out of the 2.5" strips drawer and added them to the longer strips shown in the first photo.
I then created random sets of four strips.
The general game plan is to sew the sets together to then be cut into as many 8.5" squares as possible to create either a scrappy rail fence or column-based layout.
Of course Chase had to get in the middle of things once morning arrived and I started stitching.
Now that the strip sets are all sewn (some longer, some shorter), they all need to be pressed.
The lingering question is how many squares will these strip sets actually yield?
I have also pulled out the long strata I created as a center for the backing - and that, too, is being redesigned to fit this new plan.
If it isn't long enough, I'll add more Jumble to the top and bottom.
* * *
The good news is I'm pretty sure I'm going to like the end result of this improvised / make-it-work approach far more than I would have liked the original patterned idea.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Almost everything will work again if you unplug it . . . including YOU."
Anne Lamott





7 comments:
I'm 100% confident that the quilt is going to looks awesome! I also love your new studio mascot. He's perfect.
What joyful fabrics and I love your plan to see how it works out and change the plan as needed as you sew! This lucky big brother will be delighted with his new quilt, reflecting his new position in the family. :)
Hugs!
Wow, you have been really busy! And I think we've all done that-- put away a half-cut project thinking it was ready. Chase certainly looks excited by the new project, too!
I'm having a hard time imagining these cut into squares. Three columns, or three rows, would be very striking. (When you write Rident and show the squirrel I think rodent!)
I’m loving the addition of Chase to your sewing room. Serendipity that you’re liking the improv version even better….I do too!
Quick thinking Julie - I like what you're going to do with this now. Love the beautiful brightness of all these colours in the 'big brother quilt.
Ah... I had to go back and read to find out where the big brother fit into the family! That Chase is a rascal, watch out!!
Post a Comment