Monday, November 14, 2022

B.O.B. - the Back


After a bit of re-arranging, this was how the strips for B.O.B.'s scrappy back looked on the design wall.


I sewed them into three sets of strips - and the set on the right underwent some squaring of those bent edges.  

It wasn't quite as bad as it looks in the photo, but it was definitely not straight enough to sew without squaring.


Here is the completed scrappy back laying on the studio floor.  

Such a riot of color.


Here's a detail shot without any additional distraction from the rest of the room.


I am especially happy to have included the one last strip of sassy teapots from the backing of And Sometimes Y (scroll to the bottom of the page to see front/back photos).

And I did hear what several of you suggested as far as making this a top for a second quilt.

In my mind, these leftovers were designed to be a scrappy back-side for B.O.B. and no matter how I tried, I just could not re-imagine it as a top (especially because I had nothing in the stash that would function as a suitable backing).


I went ahead and sewed all the leftover 2.5" strips of those bright circles on black (from a set of placemats made last year) to make binding (far right edge of photo) for B.O.B. ("brights on black").

And now the backing and binding are safely stored on a hanger in the "waiting" closet until I make the top next year.  


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Don't worry about how you 'should' draw it.  Just draw it the way you see it."
Tim Burton

8 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Pretty darn cool backing. Love all the variety and colors.

Julierose said...

Interesting to make the reverse first;))) what pops of color--I love that teapot fabric--
I find long strips really difficult to sew so that they come out straight!! My last effort is now cut up to be made into placemats!! :000
Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

A perfect creation to compliment the quilt's front! You clearly love scraps as do I. Yum!

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

I get what you say about having it as a second quilt top, I thought it would be good as such, seeing it now finished as the backing I'm with you, it is such a stunning riot of colour.

Nann said...

I know what you mean that you couldn't see that BOB collage as a quilt top -- because when a design idea lodges in your consciousness you can't dislodge it. What really makes this riot work is that the density of the prints is similar so they riot together instead of one leaping up and hollering louder than the others. But you will have a lot of seams to quilt through....

The Joyful Quilter said...

It blows my mind that you already have B.O.B's backing and binding assembled before you've even begun the quilt, Julie. Go, you!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're a master of improvisation! Bravo!! B.O.B.'s going to be spectacular; from front to back and all around the edges, too.

Vicki W said...

I agree with you, it's destiny is a most awesome quilt back!