DH and I are both dealing with huge projects/issues within the two groups where he or I serve on the Board of Directors. These problems/challenges are taking up a LOT of our time and energy and will not be resolved quickly.
Which is to say that we are not spending much time in our creative spaces. For example, the blocks on the wall above have been there for nearly two weeks now with no forward motion.
Here they are from another angle with their binding added to the mix.
Koselig was originally intended to become a comfort quilt for donation but after several recent texts with my sister (for a variety of reasons including her newest grand-girl), I realized my sister is headed into the long dreary winter season and could certainly use the quilt's bright colors.
Her birthday is next month so I've put a high priority on getting Koselig pieced/quilted/finished despite the ongoing external issues.
The rest of the blocks are sewn and pressed (done during DH's board meeting here one evening). But it has been a week since that meeting and I've not yet gotten them trimmed to size and up on the design wall ready to assemble.
Maybe this weekend . . .
I also added a few gorgeous fat quarters and bolt end pieces of Aboriginal fabrics to the stash (these came from Etsy seller Dark Star Fabrics via their super quick shipping).
Long term I want to make a string quilt from these (and the others that are coming from e-Quilter thanks to a recent birthday gift certificate from Little Man's family).
Even though things are unusually stressful and chaotic right now, I can dream of calmer days when I can sit and sew without so many distractions.
Meanwhile, the colors in these fabrics absolutely soothe my spirits.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"We have to take risks with the arts, otherwise it all becomes a bit boring."
Julie Walters



12 comments:
What a wonderful gift you have for color! I especially like the way the parrot fabric spices things up.
ceci
Life causes "quiltus interruptus" so often!! ;000
I like your new African fabrics; I've been looking at those types for a while now--but haven't ventured to purchase any [oh, that's right--I am on a "no-buy" this year and have donated a lot from stash, too--phooey!!]
They would look great in a string quilt setting I think.
Hope your work slows down so you can get in some sewing time soon...
hugs, Julierose
Wishing you peace of mind, sheer pleasure in sewing these rectangles together, and the time to sew without distractions. Wishing the same for your husband as he need peace and time for his creativity, too.
Nice birthday gift from Little Man and family!!
Hugs!
I hope things settle down for you soon- so hard to work on fun projects when the real world calls! You remind me that I have a UFO made of all Aboriginal fabrics that I must have started 8-10 years ago. I think it just needs a border and backing. It deserves a finish soon.
Now you have me wanting to run to my Australian fabrics and start planning something. I want to do something with one of my BOB dies but can't decide which one.
Ohh SO pretty!!!
I kinda get frustrated when things take longer than the time I want to give them - I hope those external issues get solved sson
Our triennial quilt show is in two weeks. The prep and all have been all encompassing. I collect every quilt, photo it, crop it, print them out and layout the whole show on a map. Then I have to label everything in it keying it to where it goes. I think that is why my stress level has been up, not sleeping and little creativity. So, I understand the stalled project. Love the Australian fabric.
Little Man might want to have a fore warning of pending Aboriginal fabric arrivals. These are very, very addictive and he could catch this bug early in life. I don't believe this addiction has a "cure rate." Let's pretend that I don't know how I know!
That colorful quilt will be a wonderful gift for your sister, Julie! Best of luck on things settling down soon (so you can concentrate on quilting.)
Your quilt for your sister will be a burst of happy colour. I really love the addition of the parrot fabric. It works so well with all the brights you've chosen and... I think the pink solid areas add a little -ve space, very creative!
Sometimes 'life' gets in the way of our creative pursuits but hopefully you'll be back into the swing of things soon. I love Koselig, beautiful fabrics shown to their best with the simple strips, just the sort of quilt I could sew without too many hand/shoulder issues.
Oh! I haven't bought any aboriginals for a long time. Thank you for the reminder!
Post a Comment