Friday, September 30, 2022

It's All About the Fabric


After the new aboriginal fabrics were laundered, there was a bit of folding to do.

This group involves the new fat quarters. 


This stack contains half yards.  Some of these were already in the stash while others are new additions.

Can you spot the imposters?

The new ones were all ordered from the "Aboriginal - Australian Fabrics" category but clearly some of them are not truly authentic (colors too bright and designs too symmetrically repetitive).  

There are three yellow/orange pieces (below the center-line) and two light blues (above the center-line) that will go back into the stash (if not a few others) since they don't blend into the overall medley well. 


Changing gears, I don't know if I will follow through with this inspiration idea or not, but if I do this color family will be where I will start.  (the black and white will change, maybe to the blue/black Jumble?)

Agilejack made a quilt top over the past week or so using Kaffe reds and a pattern named Fractured.

Check out Ann's quilt top "finish" post HERE.  It's worth scrolling back through some of her process posts just to enjoy the fabrics she used.


And this is the current state of the replacement top for my sewing table.  

Life caused a full week delay but the drop-in opening is now cut for my Bernina and the plexiglass-surround insert is ready for final fitting once the existing base and the new top are assembled - in another week or so.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Good artists borrow.  Great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso

6 comments:

Julierose said...

I love all those blues in a stack--so pretty...looks like progress on your replacement top for your machine...have a great weekend hugs, julierose

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful new Fabrics!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think I need to bring my Aboriginal fabrics upstairs and put them on a shelf as decoration. Your stack makes me so happy, and I have at least that many of them myself (probably more!). It think it is all of the dots they use within their prints that draw me in.

Mystic Quilter said...

A happy stack of batiks and the yellow and blue fabrics are definitely too bright, I do like the mix ignoring the two colours mentioned. Looking at your blue fabric pull I love the fabric chosen for backing - and the collection of blues, very effective with the black and white Shark's Tooth fabric.
Happy sewing with your new setup for the machine!

cityquilter grace said...

all those colorful fabrics are making me drool...LOL...such fun to work with...enjoy!

Agile Jack said...

Those Aboriginal fabrics are so gorgeous. I, regrettably, have some of the knock off ones in my stash too. They are so easy to pick out now that I know they're not authentic.

Thanks for the mention of my red quilt. It was fun to make but I think I want to make another one with a more varied approach on the fabrics... at least varied in values if not colors. Will keep watching to see if you make one