Friday, July 29, 2022

Progress


As mentioned in the previous post, I pulled out the resource boxes for blue, blue-green, aqua, and blue-violet to look for options to cut the larger squares for Concatenation.

I cut quite a few and did a few mock-up blocks on the design wall before quickly editing out several choices.  

In the end, all of the squares save less than a dozen came from the resource boxes.  I cut that smaller group of ten or so from two pieces of yardage in the stack shown above.

(and at some point in the near future I need to re-fold and put away the piles on Max's table and return the resource boxes to the design studio since there are quite a few quilt tops/backs waiting for their FMQ)


I first sorted the four patches into 63 pairs with similar colors using my plate system.

Then I worked my way back through adding two large squares to each plate to create the double four patch blocks. 

This method takes some time up front but it makes it easy to sit and sew the blocks together.

(the squares on the sewing table are extras so I can make changes as needed when the individual blocks are laid out for sewing)


And here is where things stood at the end of Thursday afternoon.  

Stretching up just a bit and taking advantage of the air space below the bottom of the design wall, I will be able to lay out all nine rows without needing the step stool (which I try hard not to use).

I need to take the backing yardage off the wall (or move it to the left) to make room for the seventh column of blocks.

Once all of the blocks are on the wall, I will spend a day or two rearranging them and editing/replacing as needed in case any of them don't play well with the others.  

* * *

Younger son claimed this AHIQ project several months back and he totally approves of the double four patch approach.  He's also quite pleased to see the quilt top moving forward. 

So am I.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Life isn’t meant to be lived perfectly…but to be lived boldly, wildly, beautifully, uncertainly, magically, and imperfectly.”
Mandy Hale

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The blues are wonderful together. You can see how the inspiration worked. It is a comforting quilt but full of life.

Julierose said...

I also love the double 4-patches--great color scheme you ended up with...
hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I probably use blue less than any other color but this has me wanting to pull out the blues, turquoises and periwinkles and make a summer quilt.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Beautiful blues! Good call to use the light grey for the alternate squares in the four patches. I like where this is going.

Barbara Anne said...

Oh! The colors and fabric patterns are absolutely wonderful - this will be a delicious quilt and well done to younger son for laying claim to it, sight unseen!

You have an enviable stash. Enjoy!!!

Hugs!

Mindy said...

Love love love this quilt idea. I wish, though, that at least a third of the front of the quilt would have a strip of the elephant fabric on the left......just like on your design wall -- it would be a more "modern-ish" looking quilt. The eye, starting on the right, would travel across the colors of the 9-patches and over to the left where the elephant fabric brings the pieces all together. Just my two-cents worth. Lovely lovely colors, though. The elephant fabric is to die for!! ~Mindylr@att.net

Mindy said...

whoops.....I said 9-patch in my comment -- should have been double 4-patch.....mindylr@att.net

Mari said...

Looks great so far. Let's hear it for re-thinking and repurposing. It almost always comes out better after a project percolates for a bit.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

From here it looks like your colors are playing together very well! Love where this one is going.