By the time Little Man came home from school on Monday (1/24) he had decided that we should make TWO quilts - one for Mommy and one for Daddy.
Well, we have plenty of scraps to work with so why not!
"And promise that you won't send them any photos so my quilts will be a surprise." (From then on, he reminded me about "their surprise" and to "not tell them" every time I took a photo . . . )
One happy maker and the eight crumb boxes that were emptied.
On Tuesday 1/25 while he was at school I shifted the slabs and sections around to create the beginnings of two quilts with one on the wall in my design studio (above) and the other on the wall near my sewing machine (below).
Tape measures were pinned in place to help me gauge how much more area needed to be over-filled allowing for seam allowances and eventual squaring.
More slabs were sewn together from his filled trays in sizes that were needed and that night Little Man helped me arrange them on the walls.
I also pulled out four potential backing fabrics and asked him to pick the two he liked the best.
"Easy Peasy" he told me.
At bedtime, this was the plan for one quilt with its backing fabric on the left.
(He and I both agreed that this one still needed a little more work to help the parts "play more nicely together.")
And the plan for a second quilt with its backing fabric on the left.
This one was given a delighted two thumbs up. He told me it was ready to sew "all together."
And then he asked, "Mee Mah, can we sew again tomorrow after school?"
And of course I said "yes we can."
* * *
I'll be back with Part 3 (of 6) on Friday.
Quiltdivajulie
----------------------------------------------“Magic exists. Who can doubt it when there are rainbows and wildflowers, the music of the wind, and the silence of the stars?”
Nora Roberts
15 comments:
Love the use of trays. I wonder have you learned anything new or surprising from this adventure? And does the fact that these pictures are posted mean you’ve finished the quilts?!?! And, most importantly, do they have names yet???
Isn't that such a fun thing to sew with your Little Man? He is just adorable--great photos...have fun hugs, Julierose
Those quilts are actually pretty -- the colors remind me of the gypsy's wife quilts. Love the strips!
It's interesting how I can see that #1 needs more work, and yet #2 really is done! You and Little Man have great color sense!
I love seeing his happy face and the beautiful, colorful quilts the two of you created! What a wonderful time you must have had. And the emptied crumb boxes - wow!
Absolutely golden times despite the craziness of the world right now. Seeing these come together is magic and liberating as well as empty boxes (win-win).
So much fun for both of you!
Oh what fun! It is so wonderful that he wants to make one for each of them. What a special gift!
Kids can be the best designers. I remember when my nephew was 5 and we decided to make a patchwork pillowcase. When I tried one arrangement he politely but firmly said, "I think it should go this way." And that's how we sewed it.....And isn't it nice to have that many boxes emptied out?!
Oh Julie, this is the sweetest thing! You are an awesome Grandma.:) I bet this made him so happy to have something to 'do' for his parents!
Awesome. I too taught my little men and woman to sew. They never wanted to "go home" until getting into Nana's studio to do something. All three taught to sew on Big machine at age three, sitting in my lap and moving the fabrics through, then progressing to doing it by myself. Pillows and beanie blankets abounded. How I treasure the memories, and hopefully so will they. You are building memories and and possibly a future quilter. He already has the eye for color. Enjoy every moment
It sounds like this has been a win win for you all around. Special memories with your grandson and getting to sew and sew up your stash and you didn't even have to worry about a design! He did that for you.
What a delightful adventure, Julie! Looking forward to the next installment from Camp Sefton. (The Joyful Quilter @ work.)
Love watching you create with the Little Man. You have such interesting scraps! I love looking at others' fabrics! And I do the tape measure thing on my design wall too. So helpful! Can't wait to see what is next!
I am enjoying Camp Sefton very much. I can't wait to see the finished quilts.
Little Man is a fearless designer.
Post a Comment