Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Well THAT Changes Things




After sewing the first three HST border strips together
I put them back on the design wall and quickly realized
that all of those orphans were not going to fit
inside the approx. 51" x 63" frame.




With the fourth side of the frame in place,
I spent an afternoon fiddling with the elements
and left it at this point.

I have several ideas for how to add fillers and I'm sure
more than a few things will be rearranged in the process.



I also did some serious curating for the scrappy back.

The leftover HSTs from Gerful were sewn into a column
as were the rest of the front frame's newsprint HSTs.

The 18" four-part Jazzy blocks are back in the orphan box
since they no longer fit on the front and 
they added nothing to the mix for the backing.


* * *

I'm going to let this rest for a few days
while I work on some lined drawstring bags
and get this month's FMQ tops pin basted.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The distant lawnmower scents the air with green.”
Derek Jarman

7 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Sometimes subtraction is the best design tool. Sometimes you just have to let things percolate.

Peggy said...

I love the pink inner border, it gives the eye a place to rest between the HST border and inner blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Whoops!! I guess it's a lucky thing that you made the frame first, Julie.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I made my orphan block quilt I sewed blocks edge to edge and only needed a couple filler pieces. Have you considered that? Then more of the blocks can fit back in.

Kaja said...

I love the frame and the way it holds everything together. It may not be big enough for all your pieces, but that just gives you a head start on another quilt!

Mystic Quilter said...

A few days pondering will no doubt solve the problem for you.

Ann said...

I'm enjoying how you curate these blocks. Lovely border and glad you started there.