Introducing SHIVOO
(a boisterous party or celebration)
I've been watching Cathy make her "big chips" project
for months now . . . and truth be told
I had saved off the designer's free pattern long ago
thinking it would be a great way to use up scraps.
You can see some of Cathy's most recent blocks in
And while she is making her blocks as part of
this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge,
I have decided to go a slightly different route.
I didn't start out to focus on polka dots
but it didn't take long for those dots to become
my self-imposted "limitation"
("The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
is a quote that I keep on the bulletin board
right in front of my sewing machine)
Since my version will be smaller than the designer's
I figured out that I will need 80 different colors.
Amazingly enough I found that many in my stash.
(some of those scraps are just enough to get a 5" square)
This is a screen shot of the designer's layout.
I have plenty of black and whites
to generate a scrappy background.
* * *
I'm thinking that once I get the pieces and parts cut out
I can use this as a longer-term leader ender project.
IF squirrel no. 2 doesn't cause any more trouble.
* * *
Edited March 2022
Shivoo did quite a bit of changing direction
and ultimately the fabrics became part of
a series of polka dot quilts.
(look for the 'polka dots' label in the side bar
to see what became of the fabrics)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“Color possesses me.”
Paul Klee








18 comments:
I really love this squirrel!!! Great rainbow quilt!
Well, the squirrel is right- wonderful combinations and look. You just have to do it, right? Love the whole look and fabric is wonderful.
I am not a fan of (real, live) squirrels--but your latest "squirrel" quilt project looks like it will be another lovely piece. You have a lot of polka dot fabrics!! I maybe have one or two...somehow never got around to those...
hugs, julierose
Oh, I am swooning over all the dot fabrics! I have a dot problem and this just makes me jealous and envious! It is going to be a wonderful quilt!
Oh my goodness, I do love polka dots. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes together.
I was entranced by the colors in your fabric pull -- and then I saw the design. Wow! Reminds me of those candies with the colorful jelly gems inside white nougat. (Is "shivoo" a variant of "charivari," pronounced "shivaree"?)
I need to read my dictionary more often. I just love some of the names you come up with!! This is going to be gorgeous!
What FUN, Julie!! Circles, spots, and dots are favorites of mine. Can't wait to see the blocks coming off your machine, as you work on other projects!
Oh, yeah!
I like your Big Chips pull. But I haven't been able to find the free pattern. Thanks.
What a great project! Do you have a link to the original pattern? Neither a Google or Pinterest search on Big Chips quilt pattern provided any helpful links.
Wow! Your squirrel is really fun!
I love this quilt layout and colors! I can't believe you have that many fabrics with dots - and all the colors too!
You have a wonderful rainbow of polka dots. This will be lovely. Have fun!
I made a quilt in 2005/6 and used polka dot rectangles for the border. I had 50 different dot fabrics and was amazed. Now I'm not surprized at your 80!
What a wonderful quilt this will be...I love that you name your quilts AND give us the meaning of the names!
Thanks for your inspiring quilting.
what a wonderful collection of dotted fabrics you have... just like what I have been searching for for a variation of a polka dot 9-patch quilt.
That is going to be awesome!
Love the fabrics you've puled out for Shivoo.
Post a Comment