In September 2019 I purchased this quilt top
for $20 from an eBay seller who described it
as "all vintage feedbacks" . . .
I loved its scrappy vibe but really
doubted the feedsack description
and my doubts were correct.
Once I had the top in hand
I quickly realized that machine quilting
would do nothing to make the top better.
So in early 2020 I offered the top
to Cathy L. since I knew she was a
big stitch hand quilter who loves scrappy.
Lo and behold she offered to big stitch quilt it
for me as a return favor for fabrics I sent to her
to be used in her many, many donation quilts.
I was thrilled to say the least.
The quilted quilt arrived here late last week.
OH MY GOODNESS - I love how Cathy
used multiple colors of thread echoing
the colors in the backing fabric.
She mentioned how often she thought about
the maker's personality as she quilted.
I used a marbled Stonehenge fabric
to make binding - its blues, purples,
greens, and pinks work beautifully with the
eclectic fabrics in the top.
Look closely and you'll find double knit polyester,
poplin, seersucker, multiple colorways of the
same fabric, plaids, florals, and so much more.
I sent Cathy this Art Gallery Pastel Thrift backing -
if you supersize the photo you'll find lots of
typewriter font letters layered behind the plaid.
Finished size 60" x 72"
Needless to say, I absolutely love Ebullient.
(Zestfully enthusiastic, cheerful, full of energy)
THANK YOU, CATHY!!!!
* * *
On a completely different note,
our neighbor asked me what to do with
the wedding dress he found among his mother's things.
After a week of research, texts, and emails
younger son and I delivered the dress Friday afternoon
to the Woodruff-Fontaine House Museum here in Memphis.
The staff was so excited about this beautiful
1940s gown - they dressed a mannequin
just so they could take photos to share
on their Facebook page.
The donor is very happy about this outcome
and I am happy to have been part of the process.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------










20 comments:
That’s a beautiful wedding dress
This quilt has had an interesting journey and perfect finish. And oh my - that wedding dress! How wonderful to have found the perfect home for all to enjoy.
Seeing all the creases in the wedding dress reminded me of what happened to the dress Princess Diana wore on her wedding day; a day I remember so well. This dress looks fabulous in it's new home and nice to see it being displayed. A great outcome for all involved :)
Gorgeous wedding dress! Happy, cheerful quilt; I love the big stitch quilting, it's the perfect touch!
Wow, I love how the vintage quilt came out! As I was scrolling down the page, I saw the double-knits and seersuckers all mixed in. How fun! The big stitch quilting really elevates it. So wonderful of you to get that dress to a good place. It's beautiful!
oh the dress is so pretty. LOVE the fabrics in it and it adds so much humanity to the room it's now in. Good job putting it in the hands of people who could share it so well.
The quilt is ebullient indeed -- and Cathy's quilting is just right for it. The wedding dress is a beauty. So nice that it is still appreciated.
The big stitching was a great idea for that quilt and the binding finishes it perfectly! Good creative ideas there! The wedding dress found a very nice home.
What a good trade you made with Cathy! Congrats on finding a place for that beautiful wedding gown, Julie. I can see why the museum was thrilled to have it!
You are welcome.
You know...I didn't actually like the quilt when I received it. But the more I looked at it day after day of quilting the more it grew on me until I actually ended up loving it. Your choice of backing and binding were perfect!
The wedding dress looks like it belongs there. What a beauty.
I love this quilt--everything about it--even the mix of fabrics. I spied the creamsicle orange knit fabric--love it.
Do you think this is a 70s quilt or earlier? 70s because of the knit, but any quilter might have fabrics in almost any age-range. I was so anxious to praise it that I haven't yet studied it.
Thank you for your efforts and the lovely outcome for this stunning wedding gown.
Wonderful finish for a quirky, but beautiful quilt.
đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚ Vintage feedbacks!
A delightful vintage - y quilt! You & Cathy make a great team. And the wedding dress is amazing, so glad its out on display for all to see.
Wow, your neighbor chose the right person to ask for help with the wedding dress! I love how your rescue quilt turned out. I bet the maker never envisioned such a wonderful finish!
Love the story of how the quilt came to you, got quilted, etc. The seller had NO CLUE what they had "feedbacks"... HA! just a come on, perhaps? Lovely finish for it though. and That wedding dress, WOW, so much fancier than my mothers' same era.
I love love super love that quilt! It's so wonderful and scrappy and so many people have contributed to it's specialness! What a great story!
Fascinating story behind the quilt and the wedding dress looks just perfect in the setting at the Museum.
How lovely of your friend to quilt it for you ...... The big stitch looks great......
What as gorgeous wedding dress..... Perfect spot for it.....
It's so wonderful that you could find a home for the dress! I had a vintage cape from my Great-Great Grandmother that I recently was able to return to New York into the hands of someone in a younger generation. It's a good feeling.
Post a Comment