Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Dumpster Diving 8 - Bella - the Quilt



Dumpster Diving 8 - Bella is finished.

(click here to see my other Dumpster Diving quilts)

Of the 135-plus quilts that Max and I have quilted
since 2016, Bella has been the...most...challenging...




From the broken needle that messed up Max's timing
to the huge number of heavy, bulky all-solids seams,
I can honestly say I am very glad Bella is finished.

That said, I'm thrilled the quilting looks so consistent
(front and back)
given the many, many starts and stops along the way.




In the end I am over the moon with the results.




Quilted with Glide thread in Periwinkle
using my liberated fans in rows.

Top pieced using Bella solids by Moda.
(including the cream in the center string blocks)

48" wide x 62" long


(Bella brings my 2021 finished quilt count to nine)


* * *



Next up for quilting is 
Dumpster Diving 10 - Do Tell.

After quite a few rejected ideas, 
I've decided on this approach 
that involves columns of  oversized orange peels 
using three colors of thread for the top with a
single bobbin color that blends with all three.

I'm ready to get started.




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The world is your kaleidoscope, and the varying combinations of colors which at every succeeding moment it presents to you are the exquisitely adjusted pictures of your ever moving thoughts.”
James Edward Allen

19 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I know you are glad to be finished with that one. You would never know how much trouble you had by looking at it. I am sure you were very anxious to get your machine working again. It turned out very nice. Good quilting design. I also like your next quilting design. It will look good.

I just noticed your quote from Anne Frank. I have that quote written in my notes that I am writing to my kids.

ButterZ said...

Lovely quilting design

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Spectacular! And, I love those huge clothespins. What a hoot!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yay, the clothespins are back! No one can tell the quilt was a struggle- it looks completely lovely and together. One of the advantages of a sit down longarm is you can quilt a design the way you drew it out. On a longarm, you would have to keep advancing the quilt for one design and then back again. I wish I had know these things before I bought a long arm. Sometimes everything works out so well in quilting and other times you get 12" from the end and all heck breaks out with tension which is my conundrum today.

Vivian said...

That is one glorious quilt!! I am sure you apologized to Max for knocking off the timing with the broken needle with the quilting. Your new quilt looks amazing, even if it is just in the planning stages.

Mari said...

Bella is striking and gorgeous. Sometimes the biggest struggles give us the biggest wins. You and Max are on a roll! The fans look terrific and the plan for the next quilt looks amazing. Have fun working on your eighth finish!

Julierose said...

Your beautiful quilting adds so much to this lovely piece!! Nice work
Hugs Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bella's beautiful (last minute) backing fabric change really made her sing, Julie! Chewing through all those seems is no joke. The Beast (my APQS Millie) sometimes struggles with them, as well. My new motto for these heavily pieced scrap quilts: New quilt, NEW needle. No exceptions!

Ellie said...

Bella the Beautiful! You struggles with the quilting was worth every bit because it looks spectacular! Love the plan for quilting your next one, too.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are just zooming along with finishes this year! I'm glad Max is fixed and making life easier for you.

audrey said...

Bella looks even better than I had thought it would! Your stitching looks incredible! Such a fabulous looking quilt, no wonder you're over the moon.:)

darlynn said...

I love this quilt! Excellent job~~~ The muslin X through the quilt along with all those lovely solids! Just wonderful.

Frog Quilter said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Bella is beautiful Julie, I love the colours and design you came up with for this quilt. Yes, the quilting is just right!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Another striking quilt! Love the all-solid colour!

Kaja said...

Another stunner, Julie. I love the diamond grid and the way it contrasts with your curvy quilting.

Chookyblue...... said...

Bella is gorgeous ..... Congrats on the finish even if it was challenging with all the seams...

QuiltGranma said...

I see you are going for the optical illusion trick with those clothes pins! Where did you find those babies?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is such a cool quilt!!! I love the texture that the quilting gives it!