With Feisty (see previous post) off the design wall,
it was time to lay out the blocks for Heliophilia.
My original layout plan was 14 wide x 9 long
with a 4" border all around.
(3" x 6" finished size blocks)
But n-o-t-h-i-n-g that I pulled from the stash
came close to working for the borders.
After more time online than I care to admit
I realized I didn't want a border after all.
Instead I made 34 additional blocks and
laid them out 16 wide x 10 long.
I'm liking the way this is coming together.
Next step will be to clip these blocks
and get this top webbed together.
I also have three others that are clipped
and ready to web into tops -
Otsego, Jingle Bells, and Sleigh Ride.
Time to get busy and move these along.
* * *
A week ago the string trimmer threw a small rock.
(there's a first time for everything . . . )
The gorilla tape has (so far) held the outer layer
of the thermopane window so it doesn't
collapse under its own weight -
although the outward bulge is growing.
A replacement thermopane glass insert has been ordered
but it will be 2-4 weeks before installation.
(thank goodness the interior layer was not breached)
Meanwhile high levels of southern humidity
(and occasional rain showers)
generate a constantly changing pattern
of "steam" between the layers of glass.
Never a dull moment.
“Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens.”
Jimi Hendrix





12 comments:
Wow that window looks scarey!!
This Helio quilt is looking great...love those bright yellows with the greens and grays... a real "Good Morning Sunshine" piece ;)))
Hugs, Julierose
If the damage wasn't so aggravating (and the repair expensive), you'd have inspiration for an interesting quilt design.
holy cats! that must have been loud too!
WOW. Sorry about the window but ... your quilt is beautiful!
I love all of the sunny yellows in the blocks.
I had never heard of thermopane windows before I moved into my current house 48 years ago. I have 2 huge ones here in the living and dining rooms. So far they have been safe from rocks although many birds have hit them thinking they could fly through my house. I hope your tape can hold the broken glass until repair time.
The quilt is going to be SEW pretty, Julie! Sorry about your window. :o((
That's freaky about your window. As for the quilt, it's a "helio" of a pretty one!
Really love the quilt! The colors remind me of lots of sunflower petals. The window is scary looking. Isn't glass a weird thing- how it behaves and cracks?
Heliophilia reminds me of a spring version of your Party Cloudy quilt :) Beautiful, just beautiful! I'm really impressed the gorilla tape has been holding that window at all! I hope you weren't near it when it happened....it would have scared me to death!
I absolutely adore the colors and shapes in Heliophilia! Fabulous! And I agree that no border is necessary.
Glad you decided against a border Julie, I love this just as it is. I think a border would have removed the focus away from the blocks. Good luck with having the window replaced!
What a wonderful combination of yellow, green, and grey. Simple design with a lovely result. I'm glad the glass is holding so far.
Post a Comment