Monday, August 3, 2020

Dumpster Diving 8 - Bella - the Flimsy



As part of my continuing mission 
to move projects forward,
the time had come to 
turn Bella's blocks into a quilt top.




Once sewn together, it was time for a good pressing.




Pieced using Moda Bella solids,
hence DD8's name.




As I stood back to take these photos,
I realized there were a LOT of vulnerable seams
along all four edges of the quilt top.

I hadn't planned on adding a border . . . 




As I pondered, I pulled out the backing fabric (left)
and the flanged binding I'd made months ago.




Seen from another angle.




Even with a stay-stiched edged
I wasn't comfortable with all those seam ends.

So I cut 2" (cut) strips of the darker solid
that will be sewn all the way
around the top prior to quilting.

Once the top is quilted (design and thread TBD)
that dark strip will allow me to square the edges
and (I hope) end up forming a narrow accent strip
without seeming to be an actual border.

Time will tell if my plan works.

(to see the earlier posts for this project,
the ones that explain how I got to this point,
click on the label at the end of this post
or use the list of labels in my sidebar)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The art of conversation lies in listening."
Malcom Forbes

10 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

The top turned out beautifully, Julie. Let's hope your "border" plan works!

Julierose said...

Great quilt--all those edges --yikes...those two narrow borders are
looking pretty i think. Hugs from the sauna that is SE CT today;000 julierose

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like this. and I agree - if the edges are wimpy.....

Vicki W said...

OMG, this is awesome! I hope you are considering writing a book about your dumpster diving quilts.

Mari said...

This is terrific Julie. It turned out beautifully. I think your finishing idea will work and will look like a really interesting binding treatment. Maybe after quilting you can trim it down very narrow and make it blend perfectly.

cspoonquilt said...

Dazzling quilt top! I like it A Lot and I like that the blocks aren't square. Makes it way more interesting!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That should work, I follow your line of thought exactly. This is such a lovely piece, those yellow lines shine and pull the design into focus. I admire your "eye", this is a great exercise in color and problem-solving on the fly. Bella is a true beauty!

Nann said...

A stability strip will help a lot with all the angles -- a discreet not-quite-a-border is preferable to ripply edges.

Ann said...

Your flanged binding is a good solution to the strips. They add a nice finishing touch in addition to stabilizing the strips. It looks like you had fun.

audrey said...

Yes, stay stitching only works so far with that many exposed seams. Good for you coming up with an expedient solution. Love this quilt so much! It really has a wonderful look. So striking and creative.:)