Monday, July 13, 2020

Introducing Heliophilia


This is the backing that I made for Partly Sunny,
back when it was going to be my quilt.

But then things happened and the quilt top/back
were sent off to Lynne in a swap for Geode

(You can read Partly Sunny's back story here
and see Lynne's finished quilt here.)

Long story short, she chose a different backing
so this one will be coming back to me, along with
the yellow-with-a-green-flange binding I'd made.



I've been pondering what kind of quilt top
I want to make to go with the scrappy backing.

I've thought about slashed squares, 
another X Marks the Block quilt,
a string quilt, and so many other ideas . . . 

I finally settled on a half-rectangle triangle quilt
along the lines of Wilkommen from several years ago.

These are the gray and yellow strips that I cut from the stash.

I sub cut them into 5"x 8.5" rectangles and pressed them
but I've stopped for now because I'm still not
100% certain about my plan.

I don't want things to get overly complicated
(simple really can be better)
and while I want this quilt to be related to Partly Sunny
I'd prefer it be more like a second or third cousin than a sibling.




While browsing online I chanced across this photo
and one of those proverbial "lightbulbs" clicked.

Instead of using only gray and yellow in the top,
maybe I would be happier if I added in some greens.




I few clicks later, I found this photo
and a modified plan began to evolve.

I need to pull a few more fabrics
and play around with some layout ideas
before I cut any more strips.

Time will tell how this will evolve.


* * *

In the meantime, 
I am considering this a "yellow" quilt
so I've named it Heliophilia
(noun: love of sunlight)



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“No man ever listened himself out of a job.”

Calvin Coolidge

11 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great name for the revised quilt made to go with this recycled quilt back, Julie! I'm looking forward to seeing the fabric pull with the greens added in. Enjoy!

Julierose said...

I love seeing your fabric pulls and haring how you decided on them. I am always, it seems jumping in and not thinking out ahead. Nice considered scrappy...stay safe julierose (still petting away ;}}} )

Mari said...

I guess I must be heliophilic, then! :) I love this plan, and green will be quite lovely with all those pretty yellows. A little blue, too, maybe? Have fun!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Love the name, love the color scheme. You go!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think a little green in it might give it a spark. Sometimes we don't know until we start a project if it is going to work.

Cathy said...

I never would have thought of adding green in with yellow and gray but it sure looks good in those inspiration photos.

Pip said...

That is a nice fabric pull, can't wait to see what greens you will be using. A bit of bright pink might work too, I can see a couple of the yellow strips have pink in them.

Ann said...

I've been wanting to make a quilt from the "outside in" like Kawandi quilts but I've never started with the back. Very cute. And I am officially out of yellow fabric. I get to go shopping soon.

Janie said...

Lots of color and design fun here,
Partly Sunny and Wilkomen ( sp?) are beautiful quilts.
Have a great day!

Mystic Quilter said...

You do stitch up the most wonderful and interesting backings Julie! I like your colour ideas for Heliophilia.

Chookyblue...... said...

The yellow and grey looks great together.....