Monday, May 18, 2020

Introducing Miscellany - a New Project

Photo by Rachel Hauser of Stitched in Color

I'm not sure how I happened across this blog post
but I am entirely taken with this quilt.

(photo borrowed from Rachel's website, 
shared here as the inspiration for my version)




I chose the white with turquoise for my consistent background.

(I thought about going scrappy but that would take away
from the other bits of color in the top)

The mottled batik to the right is a solid candidate for binding
and the fabrics to the left will become a scrappy back.

I ordered the background as I didn't have more than a yard
of anything that was suitable and this will need more,
likely much more, than a single yard.

The rest came from the stash.




So here's my plan . . . 

I'll play along with the RSC colors for the rest of 2020
(starting with darker green scraps shown above)
since the placemat project is finished 
and the Mischief Maker blocks
generate all sorts of interesting bits and pieces.

I'll continue on into RSC 2021 until
I have enough blocks to piece my top. 

This is going to be FUN!

(that small box is for potential scraps
to be used with future months' color groups)

* * *

Rachel named her quilt Confetti.

I've named my Miscellany.

(a miscellaneous collection or group 
of various or somewhat unrelated items; the
anglicized version of miscellanea; ca. 1565–75; 
< Latin miscellānea hash, hodgepodge; 
noun; use as neuter plural of miscellāneus)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“In a good conversation, one person talks while the other listens.”
Charlie Brown

18 comments:

Pip said...

I have fabric envy :) the fabrics you have chosen for the quilt are gorgeous and the background fabric is just perfect. Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

mangozz said...

I also love that quilt design. Your colors will be beautiful on the neutral background. I don't know how you can wait for the RSC colors to come out. I would just dive into it.

Pam Dempsey said...

This will be gorgeous! I fell in love with Rachel's Confetti as well and plan on starting one too :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I had never seen that blog. I can't figure out how it goes together as blocks. Love using all kinds of fabrics.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it!!! and I like how you are so ready to start a new cool project!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Looks like a fun project for you! I admire Rachel's quilt, and I'm looking forward to seeing your RSC version progress.

Nann said...

And you'll be able to use those darned dark/sage greens this year....great quilt design.

Quilter Kathy said...

OMG I adore this! I have made a couple of mini quilts this using confetti piecing, but never a full size quilt... so brave! Such a great way to use up scraps! Thank you for the inspiration!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's a cute quilt, Julie. LOVE the collection of fabrics you've gathered for the backing! At first, I thought you were limiting the colors within the quilt top. I'll be interested to see how it works as a project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

LA Paylor said...

I kind of paused when I saw flamingos... ohhhh flamingos.... funny that you are doing this, as I was reading my new Ebook on improv work and different sized squares with same background... I like it!

Cathy said...

Reminds me of those mosaic crafts I did as a young girl oh so long ago!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like this confetti quilt a lot better than some I saw in the past with raw edge pieces just placed on the background and stitched. I would like to make one of these too.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love this, and especially your controlled, deliberate approach. I did a "Miss Alaynee" quilt some years ago. ;)

Mego said...

I LOVE this...I just came across it on PINTEREST this morning. IN 2011 the original was made my Megan Risse (who no longer seems to be on the Internet) and quilted by Rachel. I have bits and pieces of color and even MORE of whites. I was always going to make one of those tiny houses quilt but THIS one looks more doable. Great minds!

Ann said...

A lovely spring project. Turquoise is always a favorite of mine.

Sharon said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this and shared Rachel's delightful quilt! It inspires me too. I like your plan! And that background fabric is so fun! I can't wait to see how your quilt develops!

Mystic Quilter said...

This is going to be such an interesting quilt project and I love your choice of fabrics, one of my favourite colours! Good planning for the time ahead.

Preeti said...

I love where you are going with this idea. For something that looks rather improvised, you have a very specific plan. I am a planner and I can appreciate a good plan. That batik is so yummy and absolutely perfect for the binding. I am so tempted to drop everything and join in the fun with you - but I must wait till after I make two Mercyful Quilts. so much to do. Hope you are staying safe.