I pulled these fabrics in December 2018.
I don't remember if I had a particular project in mind
or whether I was just playing with plaids and solids.
I didn't do anything with them right away
other than admire how well they played together.
In April 2019, Cathy posted this quilt top.
Her layout delighted me no end.
(see link below for her post)
And I thought of my box of plaids and solids.
I pulled out the yardage
as well as scraps and other bits
from the resource boxes.
Using the same size HSTs as Cathy used
I drafted out a plan for a 48" x 60" ish top.
In September 2019 Cathy shared the finished quilt.
Over the next months
I cut my fabrics into squares,
sorted them into pairs,
marked the center diagonal lines,
and tucked them back into the project box
because other things were more time sensitive.
Last month when the cold stole my creative mo-jo,
I pulled out the pairs and stitched the double sets of seams.
(that yardage will likely be the backing)
However, I managed to do "it" again.
For some reason HST math confounds me and
I ended up with twice as many HSTs as needed.
My original plan called for the blocks
(once cut apart and pressed open)
to be squared at 4.5"
But that meant I would have enough to make
TWO 48" x 60" quilt tops
or one enormous top.
NO! NO! NO!
So I revised the plan and will square the blocks at 3.5"
for a 54" x 63" top with just two HSTs left over.
Seems like a much better plan to me.
* * *
My cold/sinus infection is mostly gone,
but my mo-jo is still intermittent.
I need to get March's kitchen table quilt quilted
and then focus on piecing the scrappy back
for the 70s quilt so I can quilt and finish it
before the late March due date.
One stitch at a time . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.”
Andre Gide






16 comments:
Looks like you have a lovely selection of plaids there;)))
Cathy's quilt is so pretty, isn't it? Great color choices...
hugs, Julierose
Oh, the joys of quilt math. Especially for someone who is NOT mathematically minded, like me!! I once cut for two quilts and ended up with three. The third was named Happy Accident. Whoops!!
what pretty plaids. I love your idea of tablecloths. I ran across an old top I thought I might donate, but realized it's so pretty and graphic that it would look wonderful on a table!! Thanks for always inspiring us
LeeAnna
One advantage to cutting down those HSTs is that they will be very, very accurate. [Sez she who used Bonnie H's triangle ruler to make HSTs for Frolic and still had a few undersized and a few to trim down.]
I hadn't realized you were under the weather. Hope you get to feeling better soon. It's no fun to not feel well enough to do what you want to do - believe me, I know. Meanwhile, I love the palette of plaids and Cathy's unique setting. This is going to be fun to see when you get it together. :-)
OMG Somehow I zipped past this post that Cathy did last fall. It really has character and ‘zip’. So glad you posted it. Maybe I didn’t look closely enough I’d I use my iPad as I read blogs. So the screen is much smaller than my iMac desktop. This year I’m dedicating to upping the ante of my donation quilts and I’m putting this one on the list. I can ‘see’ it is my stack of doggie fabrics. The design kind of frolics so made me think of dogs. That being said, I feel your collection of these scrumptious plaids will be most perfect for this design. And aren’t we all longing for spring? That’s what your plaids reminded me of. Still snow covered grounds here. One can wish.
I hope you're feeling better soon!
Your plaids will look great in zig zag formation. And that's a relief that you got the HST calculations straightened out before piecing started. Whew!
Oh boy, I like this a lot!
Those plaids and solids are going to be a great combo. Glad you are feeling better. My daughter and grandson had that crud and it likes to hang on way too long.
xx, Carol
The universe is clearly telling you to make two quilts at a time, all the time!
Oh,goody! Plaids will be fun in a Streak of Lightning. I like how there are various paths to the same destination. I just cut scraps for one or two blocks at a time and used an Easy Angle ruler. Then I assembled the blocks and cut some more until I had enough blocks. I don't usually cut all pieces before I start on a quilt. And I would much rather make two quilts with extra pieces or put some in the parts department than square anything up. I don't usually square anything up either. We all enjoy our journeys to the same destinations. I may have to make another trip back to the Streak of Lightning now that I see it again!
Glad mojo is back!
Love plaids so much. Cathy's quilt is a wonderful inspiration for sure!:)
Plaids and stripes are so underused. This will be lovely.
I like what you're doing with these fabrics Julie and 54" x 63" sounds a much better size!
An intermittent mo-jo is no good - I'm having the same problem. hope you're back to normal soon!
I did the same miscalculation last fall while making hourglass blocks for a QAL. Fortunately I hadn't cut all 8 sets, so I only wound up with a few extra blocks, not double the number needed. Hope you get back to your normal pace soon.
Quilt math is the worst! Especially when I’m trying to do it in my head!!
Post a Comment