Friday, February 14, 2020

Sharing "The Plan"



At long last (15 hours+), all of the
1974 newspapers and Sears catalog pages
have been removed from the back of the top.

After repairing several more seams,
the top was given a gentle all-over pressing.

And after more hours of pondering and auditioning,
I've chosen four fabrics to form the borders 
 that will enlarge the top to twin size.

(3 from the stash + outer border/newly purchased)

I simply could not add a super-wide border all around 
as initially suggested by the grandson of the maker.

I seriously doubt Ms. Zinnia (his grandmother) 
would have approved of that approach
given the very scrappy nature of her stars.

So a four-part border it shall be.

(click here for the introduction to this project
and click on the '70s quilt' label to see
all previous posts for this one)




With those decisions made, I moved onto the backing.

The three extra stars that were removed from the top
have been framed with the outer border fabric
for insertion into the scrappy pieced back.




Eight of the fabrics were cut from
the backs of said grandson's shirts
while those with post-it notes
were pulled from the stash.




I do believe this eclectic mix 
of plaids, stripes, and prints is very much 
in line with the nature of Ms. Zinnia's quilt top.





Next step will be to cut the fabrics into squares;
piecing the larger squares to increase their sizes
to equal those of the star blocks,
 while also enhancing the scrappy factor.


* * *

Finally, it is almost time to start stitching.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Listen to the silence.  It has so much to say.”

Rumi

17 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh the excitement! Scraps are my favorite. I can imagine that maybe half of your readers have never seen a Sears catalogue!

Judy said...

Good choices for borders! Those couldn't have been easy to identify and choose. They really bring some cohesion to a very busy top.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh yes, I am sure Ms. Zinnia would approve. I adore your backing solution!

Quilter Kathy said...

Amazing restoration efforts...Ms Zinnia would be so thrilled!
It looks like the backing is another whole wonderful quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That pieced back will be SEW great with the front!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great plan! It's a bit easier to center those pieced backs with a sit-down quilting machine than a longarm; you can enjoy that freedom that Max allows. This is going to be stunning~ Ms. Zinnia would most certainly approve!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Sometimes, the designing and puzzling is the most fun. I like where you're going with this. What a unique memory quilt!

Vicki W said...

I have blocks like these that my Great Grandmother made. They are pretty much the last of her UFO projects. You are giving me some inspiration!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Reminds me of that little game when I was a kid that had those moving tiles to make patterns. The shapes would slide along in so many combinations I think called a klotski puzzle. I guess you came up with the winning solution.

Magpie Sue said...

Wow.

Janie said...

Exciting improvisation going on here, wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Sew exciting!

O'Quilts said...

You have done a wonderful job here...values and character and color...Wow..big hand clapping for you!!

QuiltGranma said...

LOVE what you are doing here! What a treasure it will be when finished!

Pip said...

It’s a bit like doing a jigsaw, I think it is going to be wonderful once you have finished it. I spy some Kaffe Fasset in your border fabrics.

Cathy said...

Thanks for a glimpse into all the behind the scenes work involved. What a sweet grandson to save Ms Zinnia's blocks. The quilt is going to be awesome.

Mystic Quilter said...

Just love your layout for the backing Julie, the left over stars fit in beautifully.