This was my initial fabric pull for
I rarely play along with pattern-based QALs
but for some unknown reason,
this one appealed to me.
I knew my fabric combination wasn't "just right"
but it was a solid starting point.
Later that day I ran across this saved image
in my inspiration folder
and I knew what needed to happen.
The purple/green combo was too much like
the colors used in the 2017 series
of Grape Pansy Caper quilts
I added pinks and yellows to the mix and
replaced the stack of low volume background prints
with a scrappy assortment of light blues.
![]() |
| Test Block A |
I have cut out all my pieces and parts
(although I will not be assembling mine
using the pattern's stitching instructions)
and have my A and B test blocks made.
![]() |
| Test Block B |
These sets of colors make me happy
and that is a good indicator
that I will actually finish this quilt top
which I have named HALCYON
(meaning calm, peaceful, and happy)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The finest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer feel amazement, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out candle."
Albert Einstein





8 comments:
Halcyon indeed; well done, my friend; you have the best EYE! :)
I love those colors. They're always so calming.
Good call. It will be fun to see this develop.
Off on another quilting adventure. . . I love the fabrics you have chosen.
love your colors! Looking forward to seeing how you use them and what quantity of each.
Julie your choice of Halcyon for the QAL couldn't be better and I love your colour changes.
Thanks for sharing your fabric choosing process. You end result is much more nuanced and exciting. Following this QAL will be a treat for us all.
Just getting back to civilization. I felt rather frustrated at not being able to see your photos when the post was released. I agree with your assessment of the original fabric pull. LOVE that inspiration photo!! The new fabrics look like they will work well. Enjoy the process you begin the new quilt!
Post a Comment