Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Squares Aplenty - The Flimsy




I mentioned this project in passing once before.

It started because I had a stack of leftover low volume four patches.




When Kevin the Quilter started his 
SSSSSQ sew along earlier this summer,
I grabbed the waiting four patches and did my own thing.




Double four patch blocks set with alternate squares
of a much loved print that has been in my stash
for so many years I've lost count. 




I raided the blue-green resource box
to cut the 4.5" squares to combine
with the low volume four patches.

It felt so good to use some of those stashed pieces.




And now the result is a 48" x 60" quilt top.

My top doesn't look anything like Kevin's mystery top -
but that's perfectly okay with me
because those lovely four patches are 
no longer languishing in a project box.




I pulled these leftover pieces to create a scrappy back.

It is pieced and pressed and waiting in the closet now.

My new roll of Hobbs 80/20 batting 
has been ordered and should be here any day.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“To be more childlike, you don't have to give up being an adult. The fully integrated person is capable of being both an adult and a child simultaneously. Recapture the childlike feelings of wide-eyed excitement, spontaneous appreciation, cutting loose, and being full of awe and wonder at this magnificent universe.”
Wayne Dyer

7 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to use Kevin's Mystery to jumpstart your delicious Orphan Block quilt!!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Congrats on using your low volume four patches in your own unique way! I love it. I can see why that green print is much loved - it's beautiful. I'm glad you found the perfect opportunity to use it.

Ann said...

Good way to use up your leftovers. A lovely green, too.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a great setting for those blocks! This way they glow out of such a unique print.

audrey said...

A lovely quilt that practically made itself! lol Isn't it wonderful when there is a perfect place to put a older but well loved fabric! Such a feel good moment to see it all come together.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Love it, the green leaf vein fabric is perfect, looking forward to seeing the back!

Mari said...

You are on a roll! This was a great use of those blocks. Let's hear it for fun inspiration. It may not look like Kevin's quilt, but it's lovely on it's own!