Monday, April 15, 2019

Dumpster Diving 5 - Catharsis - The Flimsy




This is the last photo I shared of Catharsis
with all 48 blocks laid out on the design wall.




Those blocks were taken down and clipped in columns.

(thank you, Wanda, for sharing how you web your tops)




This is a section of the newly pressed quilt top
so you can get a better look at the
wide variety of scrappy fabrics.




I added the turquoise border (cut at 2.5") 
to stabilize the hundreds of bias edges and seam ends.

After quilting, that border strip will be 
trimmed back to less than an inch
before the turquoise binding is added.

(I used this method on the edges of No Ugly Flowers
and it worked so well, I'm using it again)

At this point, the top measures 52" x 68"

Catharsis has now joined the other six quilts 
in my waiting-to-be-quilted closet.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
Lewis Carroll in Alice in Wonderland

14 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

This is such a lovely colour/design combination.

Beth in MN said...

I love what you have done.

Nann said...

It's turned out splendidly, Julie. I love the colorway.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Wow, wow, wow! Gorgeous!

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Katie said...

I love this quilt. I've watched it grow and evolve and have loved it all along. And I want one for myself. But even though I watched it grow and saw how you did it, I think the idea is still overwhelming enough for me to not attempt it. Yet. Those pesky squirrels sometimes convince me I can do anything...it would be easier to turn them away if they weren't right all the time...

Paulette said...

Beautiful quilt, and the turquoise border is perfect!

Teresa said...

A beautiful quilt. Makes me think of the ocean.

Angie said...

Sigh...so much scrappy goodness! The turquoise border is a perfect finish!

Ann said...

Another lovely quilt in your signature colors. The straight border does a good job containing the bias edges and setting off the blocks. You are very kind to share your process. I hope to see others try this design.

Preeti said...

Gorgeous, Stunning and Spectacular (already said that on IG) but it is really worth all the superlatives. The border is a must when there is bias everywhere. You are correct. I have been using (with some success) Wanda's webbing process to piece my tops.

audrey said...

Fantastic! I am loving how sparky this quilt is. So much energy that it looks alive!:)

Kyle said...

What an incredible quilt!

Kaja said...

Could a scrappy quilt get any better? I'm not sure it could. This is definitely one I want to try.