Saturday, March 30, 2019

Mosaic Blocks in Green



Green has been the RSC color of the month for March.

Early in the month I sorted out eight QSTs
for each of my forty blocks.

And then I got sick . . . 




This past week I was finally able to sew my blocks together.

The plate above holds 320 pairs of tiny "ears" 
that were trimmed from the HST corners.

I did not trim these the first month.

After seeing the results 
I changed my plan and decided trimming 
 made for a neater back with less bulk in the seams.




The HSTs were then chain stitched into pairs . . .




. . . and those pairs were sewn into blocks.

I'm especially pleased that this month's blocks
pressed even flatter than last month's.




I really like the way the multiple greens
dance and play with the background blues.

I wasn't too sure about that very light green text print
but it adds a bit of sparkle to the mix
and it does in fact read as pale green.



The March greens now join January's reds . . . 




. . . and February's yellows in the project box.

I wonder what color we'll be playing with in April?

* * *

Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense."
Mark Twain

14 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, how beautiful! They look like collections of gems!

Julie said...

Each new color adds a new level of sparkle, I think. Already a beauty in the making.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What pretty GREEN progress, Julie (and I'm SEW glad that you are feeling better!!)

Cathy said...

Whew! My first thought when I saw that dish of trimmings was “oh no, she DIDN’T!”. I thought maybe you were going to (try to) sew or fuse those together. Of course, upon reading your post, it was made clear. Your blocks are stunningly gorgeous. Bright, happy, intense. It’s always a joy to drop by and read your updates!

gayle said...

These blocks are absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see the next color!

Shelina said...

I thought you were going to do something with those HST trimmings too! I agree that those greens really sparkle!

Julie in GA said...

All of your blocks are absolutely gorgeous! I love the way the colors glow against the deep blue backgrounds.

Preeti said...

Your blocks glow and shimmer like jewels - emerald, sapphire and rubies

Kyle said...

Gorgeous. The colors seem to dance.

Vicki W said...

I love your colorful mosaic blocks!

Mari said...

I love those blocks, but I really love the way you sort things on those plates. Genius! I can see that the text print is green, and I do think the camera doesn't always capture the colors properly. They look great and will definitely work in the quilt.

Cathy said...

Wonderful jewels! Love them mixed with the blues.
I always trim dog ears and find it does make a difference too.

Auntie Em said...

I really like the blue and green combination. It glows!

Mystic Quilter said...

All three colourways are exciting - my favourite is the green and blue combination. Like two other commenters as soon as I saw the shot of the plate with minute triangles I thought you were going to use them!!