Friday, February 15, 2019

Quilts are H-E-A-V-Y



Let the gathering and sorting begin . . . 




Twenty large quilts plus six of my small barn quilts
for a trunk show presentation on Tuesday February 26
for the Pickin' Up the Pieces quilt guild in Memphis . . . 




Plus thirty more quilts and those six barn quilts
for my lecture/trunk show presentation
in O'Fallon, MISSOURI on Thursday February 28 
at 1:00 and at 5:00 . . . 

(Meeting is held at 18 North Central Avenue, 
O'Fallon, MO, if you'd like come join the fun) 




Plus another eight quilts and a few smaller items
for the Dumpster Diving workshop
with twenty Scrap Club members 
on Friday March 1 at Jackman's Fabrics
on Lindbergh in St. Louis . . .

(the papers pinned on the design wall
are my packing lists - quilts go into the tote tubs 
in reverse order so the quilt holding volunteers 
can just lift out the next quilt and we all stay in sync)




I'll need five large tote tubs for 
the two lecture/trunk show quilts 
PLUS
a sixth tote tub for the workshop quilts 
AND
a blue IKEA bag for my project boxes filled with 
pieces/parts for the workshop's work-in-progress quilt.

That is a LOT of quilts to pick up and move around!

(Needless to say, I have rented a larger vehicle
since my Honda is much too small
to hold that many quilt-filled tote tubs
plus several boxes of BUILD A BARN books)




Meanwhile RETIRED TOO is pin basted
and ready to be quilted / finished
so it can be packed into one of 
the three St. Louis trunk show boxes.

Spending time with Max quilting 
instead of planning/sorting/packing
sounds really, really good . . . 



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"It is better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret."
Jackie Joyner-Kersee

12 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow...you are putting on a major show in places! It is a massive amount of work to get things together for demo or class. Most people just have no idea. Here's to good plans, and safe travels.

Nancy said...

Phew! That's huge, and heavy as you noted. I'm always saying "Quilters don't travel light", but you've taken it to a new level. Those totes look good and sturdy, and I like those Ikea bags, too. Is 20-30 quilts for your trunk shows about a standard number to get through? Well, have fun on your road show!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I heard you were going to Kevin's group. Have fun!!!

Cherie in St Louis said...

You are the most organized woman I know, well maybe you and Lynne tie :) It will be a fabulous lecture & workshop and I'm bummed I won't be able to make it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, that is a ton of quilts. When I saw those bins at Home Depot last weekend, I wondered what they would be good for. Obviously, you had it all figured and mapped out. That is a lot of loading and unloading- hope you use a wheeled cart. If I was closer, I would volunteer as assistant schlepper!

Kyle said...

Those quilters are in for a treat.

Shelina said...

It looks like a massive amount of quilts and packing. I am tired just thinking about you packing and carrying all those totes. Good thing you are so organized and have worked out the logistics.

Nann said...

I'm at the exact opposite corner of Illinois. It would be great to see your program and to meet you in person.

LA Paylor said...

Oh gosh you've brought back memories. It's so much work to do a lecture/workshop! Heavy labor! It's fun but it's work make no mistake. That's not counting the hours spent writing the lecture, and deciding how to teach the workshop and making step outs... yep... I'm taking time off after the move. good luck

Magpie Sue said...

You may not be ready to take off just yet but let me wish you safe travels when you do go. I know you - and those you'll be meeting with - are going to have a great time. :-)

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow Julie!! What a show it's going to be, an amazing number of quilts for all to see .
I love your well though out plans for this trunk show, good luck and enjoy!

Kaja said...

You've definitely earned your playtime, Julie, so I hope you and Max have fun. I so wish I could sit in on one of your trunk shows.