It may not look like much but it is.
Over the past two weeks,
I've been culling and editing project boxes.
At one point I mentioned there were EIGHT quilts
in the Unexpected and Unconventional book
that I wanted to use for inspiration.
As of now FIVE of those are still in the works.
Two were scuttled completely due to
there not being enough hours in the day/week/year.
The third was re-imagined using a
different non-UandU vintage quilt as inspiration.
The chaos in my head involving ideas for
Sujata's UandUqal and the AHIQ Red challenge
has been somewhat calmed, at least for the time being.
* * *
Elsewhere on the shelves,
fabrics pulled from the stash
for a class shop sample have been die cut
for an entirely different project of my own
since that class may not ever happen.
(or if it does, it will be at least a year from now)
* * *
I've settled on which fabrics to use
for the class shop sample that I'll be teaching
later this year involving Gwen's liberated baskets.
* * *
And those large empty boxes on the lower shelf?
Those projects were scuttled with the fabrics
separated and sorted back into the stash.
I love pulling fabrics into groups
and imaging ways to use them.
But when I get too many groups pulled at once
my brain shifts into overload mode
and I can't concentrate on anything in the studio.
Reducing the number of potential projects
is always helpful - especially since
the fabrics are still in the stash where I can
pull them again when another bright idea strikes.
* * *
This week I need to begin pulling quilts
for two presentations and an all-day workshop
scheduled for the last week of this month.
In between I'll be stitching as time permits
but there may not be any new posts for a few days
since leader-enders and such aren't very photogenic.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Clutter forces the brain to consume energy. Create uncluttered environments instead."
Carmine Gallo


14 comments:
Ah, breathing room! And just as important as managing the stuff, is having a clear head about the priorities. It's an ongoing process.
This is one of those times that I am glad I don’t ever have more than one quilt going on at any time. I have no idea how you keep them all straight in your head (yeah I know you have the boxes but still). I would have a hard time not raiding those boxes if I needed something that was in there.
Personally, I think the Squirrel of Judgement should be shot. Or at least relocated to a place where he can cause no guilt. Meanwhile, I'm totally jealous of your lovely organized closet!
Sometimes we need to remember that we just cannot do everything! And I agree with Sue, forget that Squirrel of Judgement!
Your nicely organized stash is beautiful, and a good reminder that I need to do that, when I am mobile again.
You are so right. Once in awhile the stacks of gathered fabrics get to be a little too much. I've always been amazed at how putting some back can give us some good breathing space!
I, too, have been going through all of my WIPs and stacks of pulled fabrics, trying to create some order. I've been feeling a sense of lightness and freedom as I figure out where I am at with each project and decide which projects I want to let go. Thanks for sharing!
Your shelves look so nice and neat! I started quite a few projects this year and am having a little bit of an overwhelm moment. I managed to work on a lot of the quilts this weekend, so I feel a little bit better.
And here I thought the squirrel of judgement was on my back fence telling me off about no food for him to steal. Guess he has a day job.
It is nice to clear the decks from time to time. Good job!
Oh, it all looks so good! I have one of those squirrels and I just can't catch him. He hates being disappointed.
Bravo, yes, to organization. I too can find my projects too.
Seems like there are lots of us all dealing with the same issues here!! I'm spending a half day tomorrow trying sort myself out, I am out of WIP drawers and have done nothing at all today apart from sit and think about which project to work on tomorrow morning!
What a bunch of inspiration going on! Pulling fabrics for the next few quilts is my favorite part of the process, whether the quilts happen or not. You've got them all looking easy to put together with your bins in plain view. I'll look forward to seeing your U and U inspiration quilts!
Well done for clearing the decks a bit. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the projects you have decided to stick with now that you've reorganized.
I sometimes think of cleaned-up studios as quilters' Potemkin villages -- a spiffy, tidy facade with who-knows-what on the other side.
Post a Comment