Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Reimagining Partly Sunny




I finished this flimsy last year 
and it has been hanging in the closet
waiting to be quilted ever since.



I absolutely love the quilt top's scrappy back
but I do not love the top - which is undoubtedly
why it is still hanging in the closet.

A week or so ago I was talking to Lynne 
and she mentioned this top and how 
she preferred the original layout.

I agreed with her - I liked it better, too.




I told her I was going to take the flimsy apart
down to the HST level and re-make the top
more like my original layout.

Unstitching definitely takes time 
but it also feels good when it means 
the quilt will be what it was meant to be
instead of something far less.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Let yourself by silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love.  It will not lead you astray."
Rumi

15 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh my, you are brave! I do agree that the original setting is more to my liking, but I wouldn't have the patience to take it apart. It would be going to our annual auction and I would start over. Kudos to you!!

Vicki W said...

I'm impressed! Not sure I'd have the fortitude to take that apart. I'd probably quilt it, donate it and make another the way I liked it. :)

EYSchmitt said...

I applaud your decision to take it apart and make it how you really like it. I, too, like the original layout much much better. I am also in the process of 'remaking' one of my tops to add blocks which are going to improve it even though it means a lot of ripping. If you can make something that you really like, then turn on a movie and make friends with the seam ripper, I say.

Brenda said...

Good for you for going back to your original layout. Not sure I could have done that - I probably would have just made another quilt. Now you have exactly what you want and I am glad you are happy with it. Kudos to you.

Linda Swanekamp said...

There is no part of quilting that I do not like. Except ripping. It gets on my nerves. Kudos to you for the grit to take it apart. I think the top will be terrific.

Mari said...

I like both versions, so you have to go with what makes you happy. The yellow and gray do look great together.

Ann said...

Worth the effort. I like your new layout much better; the greys and yellows twinkle now. Congratulations on your hard work.

Cathy said...

I like the original better too but what a job to take it all apart at this point. I don't like that much ripping so that would be in my donation pile or used as a backing on a different quilt instead. I like making lots of HSTs so might even make the original again and use the Depression Block one as the backing for a reversible quilt.

How nice that you have analyzed what is holding you back from finishing and have a plan to move forward. And that's a good thing!

Robin said...

I took apart a quilt top recently. It just never looked good enough to quilt. I haven't sewn it back together yet so you're doing better than I am. It will happen though. I do like the design in the second picture a lot. And, the backing is really fun.

Sujata Shah said...

I am not sure if I would have taken my quilt apart but now that i see yours.. I think it was worth the effort. I love the hst quilt! It sparkles!

Millie said...

JUST REMEMBER... I told you I loved that original version much that I'd give you money for it... I have first dibs!!

I loved that original layout the first time I saw it. I thought it shimmered and sparkled and was just glorious. I'm sorry I waited a year to tell you.

I was very surprised when you admitted you liked it better the first way, and am impressed as hell that you're going to take it apart and fix it.

hugs,
your NH pal,
Lynne

Nann said...

Had the one in the top photo been what you'd intended I'd have liked it. But I see the merits of the original setting -- very spangly. (Is that a word?) I recently got a new seam ripper. What a difference.

Preeti said...

You did WHAT??? UN-STITCHING?? OH my goodness, we are so much more critical of our own work than that of others. Yellow and gray are not my absolute favorite colors to use but I loved your flimsy that was. I clicked on it from Mari's blog only to find out it was NOT. But then since I love everything you do, the new flimsy is no exception :-)
The lime green in the backing - now that is exactly up my alley :-)

Magpie Sue said...

Oh dear, such a lot of work. But if it has to be, it has to be. I totally get it. :-)

Sharon said...

The top in the first photo is OK, but the second one (your original layout) just sings and sparkles! I admire your grit to do all the "unsewing", but I agree that it will be worth it. Good luck! And I love the back of the quilt too! For all the time and effort we put into a quilt, it should be something we love when we're done with it!