Saturday, January 26, 2019

Red Mosaic Blocks for January



And then there were forty quarter-blocks
featuring a wide variety of reds.

Earlier this month when Mosaic was introduced,
I calculated I would need to make
 32 quarter-blocks per month.

That was before I realized that 
those 3" blocks would finish at 2.5" 
which then meant that the 
four-part block would finish at 5" 
instead of 6 inches.

My revised plan now calls for a layout 
with eighteen 2.5" blocks across 
by twenty-two 2.5" blocks long
for a total of 396 2.5" blocks.

Those 396 quarter-blocks will yield 99 5" blocks
which will be laid out 9 across x 11 long
for a top measuring 45" x 55"

So instead of die cutting 
2,560 quarter square triangles,
I 'll need 3,168 QSTs.

I wonder which focal color 
Angela will choose for February . . . 

* * *

Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Learning is not a race for information, it's a walk of discovery."
Anonymous

11 comments:

Kathy S. said...

I can tell you love math! Love the mosaic blocks. It will look great with that blue background!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a lot of little pieces, but they're going to make something really beautiful! I am also ready to find out a new color for February!

Cathy said...

Ay least you have the die cutter to cut those pieces with, otherwise you’d need an arm transplant! Love the brights you’re working with!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I went back to the earlier post and it sure is intriguing. I am saving all this Mosaic stuff in a document so I can see it all together. I am loving the way it is working.

Robin said...

You sure are ambitious! Glad you figured out the size now instead of 10 months from now.

Cathy said...

It all adds up one way or another!

Pamela Arbour said...

Nice, bright fabrics. Lots of nice blocks.

scraphappy said...

So many blocks! It sounds like a lot when you do all the math.

Sharon said...

I think your quilt math might be intimidating - that is a lot of QSTs! Good thing you've got that cutter. That will make it a lot easier! Your blocks look great - I love your blue backgrounds!

Ann said...

Darn those seam allowances. The reds are beautiful.

Kyle said...

I know you'll enjoy the process despite the numbers.