When I cut HSTs for the corners
of my Someday is Now blocks,
I cut twice as many as I needed.
Sheesh - you'd think I'd learn after
cutting twice and then some too many
a few years ago during Vicki's HSTeria QAL.
That mistake resulted in THREE quilts -
Karma and Poolside plus Oasis
This time my mistake will mean TWO quilts.
I'm going to call the second one Sea of HSTs.
It will be made with the fabrics shown above.
The lower group represents the HST combinations
and the upper group will become scrappy backing.
The top right piece should work as binding.
And ALL of it is from the stash!
Meanwhile I've made progress with Someday is Now.
I auditioned the long-planned
border and backing fabrics but no longer
feel any love for the combination.
So back to the stash I went.
This combination is much, MUCH better.
The first five rows are sewn together.
The last three rows are pieced and pinned in place.
It won't take long now to turn this one into a finished top.
Note added for those who asked:
The quilt pattern is titled Organized Chaos
and it was created by Sujata Shah.
Sujata blogs at The Root Connection
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We teach children how to measure and how to weigh. We fail to teach them how to revere, how to sense wonder and awe."
Harold Kushner



17 comments:
I agree... your second choice for the borders looks so much better. :)
Delicious! And I always cut more than I need and am usually happy when I have an instant start to another quilt. And, I agree your second border choice is fabulous!
Great colors!
The initialism for Someday is Now is, hmmm -- SIN. And your design/fabric choices are simply SINful. :)
Beautiful colors. Someone will get a special gift since you'll have two of these. Woo-hoo.
You have so much enthusiasm, it's fun to read your blog. I love all the shades of aqua.
Like a European mosaic
Beautiful Julie and your new choice of the two green border fabrics is the best!
Your fabrics are gorgeous and so is the pattern. I think it is a bonus that you got three quilts out of it.
Oh my gosh, I ADORE that quilt! I just cut out 2 veterans quilts all from HSTs. I keep coming back to my own HSTeria projects. The layouts are endless!
Oh Julie! My heart skipped a beat! Both the choices are great! I love this lush green version of OC!
Love the colour combinations in this quilt and the secondary pattern. Sometimes when you revisit initial fabric choices for borders etc you find something you like better.
I do that too on occasion, cutting twice the amount of pieces i need! So frustrating, but it's wonderful that you'll get two quilts so easily. hehe I really like the second choice for the border. We have to listen to our instincts for sure!
I realized I left your post open, but never commented. I gues I was transfixed by your quilt. I know you will be able to make marvelous quilts with the extra HSTs (can there ever be too many if they are sewn?). I just love all the colors you showed.
I sometimes accidentally (I think) buy twice as much I need :-p
Sea of HSTs - now that is worth diving into :-) I am looking forward to the finished top. I am sure it will be spectacular and ready tomorrow morning :-D
Really beautiful colours! I like your new border choice a lot too, it definitely beats the original selection.
I love this top and look forward to seeing it completed. Is there a pattern for this somewhere? I have looked and can't find one. Thank you so much.
Post a Comment