Thursday, January 3, 2019

Missouri Color Story - The Flimsy



I took this photo last summer
as I was traveling home from St. Louis.

I literally pulled over alongside the interstate,
got out of my car,
and took a dozen or so photos.

I knew I wanted to turn this into a quilt
so I let the photos sit in my gestation file
until inspiration happened.




And then for no reason at all
I remembered this sample barn block made for 
my presentations at the AQS Author Showcase.




And when things were being shuffled about 
in the studio, to save space I pinned the block 
on top of CREATE WITH ABANDON 
when it was waiting to be hung on the wall -- 
and my idea for a border was born.




It didn't take long to cut strips 
of multiple forest-y greens
and piece a saturated piano key border.




So now the 40" x 40" flimsy 
(my first for 2019)
is pinned on the design wall waiting to be quilted.



I've had this fabric in the stash for eons
and it is perfect for backing this quilt.

I have two others to quilt first
and then I'll get busy on this one
so it can hang in our foyer.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"All of us need to be in touch with a mysterious, tantalizing source of inspiration that teases our sense of wonder and goads us on to life's next adventure." 
Rob Brezsny

8 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Fabulous! Sometimes inspiration strikes and sometimes it sneaks up from behind and surprises us! I love this quilt and the story behind it. Well done. 👏🏻

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Lovely - the border is perfect! And so is the backing fabric.

Robin said...

You are so creative. It's fun to see what you put together. The saturated green border really sets the block off. It's nice to see something green this time of year. . .

Ann said...

A great border. The quilt mimics the photo now. You are very clever and quick on the mark this year.

Sujata Shah said...

Oh the trees represented by all those greens in the border! Love it! Happy New Year Julie!

Mari said...

Very nice! The green border certainly gives the same effect as the photo. Great first finish for 2019.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOL!! I looked at your first photo and thought, "Julie REALLY must be losing it! That BLUE border doesn't got AT all!!!" I like the green one MUCH better. :o))

Sue McQ said...

Love old barns! The colors are wonderful.