Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Design Studio and Stash Notes


There's been a LOT going on in our bonus room
that involves all of the furniture being moved,
several new bookshelves being assembled,
books and other items being relocated,
and assembling a large load of items
(including an aging couch)
for the Salvation Army truck.

(Once things are settled, I'll try to remember to share photos -
but I can tell you Little Man's crib is no longer
under the light switches or next to the door
since he's old enough to fiddle with all of them)

This particular bookshelf 
used to be in the bonus room.

DH surprised me and moved it down the hall
and into my design studio when I wasn't home.

He knew I would love having more shelf space -
and he was right.




More shelves allow me to have
more and shorter stacks of fabric,
which makes it easier to access what I need
and still keep the stacks neat.

I moved these fabrics from my existing shelves . . .




. . . which meant I could rearrange the existing shelves
and make my resource boxes easier to use.
(no longer stacked two deep 
except for the red/blue purples 
and the pink and red boxes)

It also meant I could shift the crumb boxes
back to a higher shelf 
where they are easier to access.

SO much better!




The new shelf unit is not as deep as my other two units,
but that works out fine for the folded yardage.

The resource boxes fit perfectly right where they are.




And speaking of my folded yardage . . . 

It has been ages since I shared how I handle mine.

I start by squaring the ends - the one above is a one-yard cut.

I lay my 6" x 24" ruler crosswise on the WOF folded yardage.




Then I roll the yardage around the ruler,
making sure that the end falls somewhere in the middle
of the 6" width so the finished "roll" stays neat.




I slide the ruler out and gently fold the rolled yardage in half.




It doesn't take long to get a stack of yardage
prepared and ready to put on the shelves.

I've had my yardage stored this way for several years now
and it has worked beautifully for me.

It is easy to see what I have
which encourages me to shop the stash.

But the best part is walking into the room
and seeing that wall of color.

Makes me smile every time!

* * *


I've also spent the last three days
creating Shutterfly photo books
for my quilting adventure.

They had 40% off plus 
unlimited additional pages at no extra charge 
AND free shipping for orders over $39.00.

THAT combination was too good to pass up.

I put together a book for 2004-2005,
one for 2006-2007,
one for 2008-2009-2010,
one for 2011-2012,
and individual books for
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.

I've thought about doing this for a long time,
but the price kept things only at the idea stage.

It took longer to gather the photos 
for each book
than it did to layout the images 
and add captions,
but the savings for these nine books 
was far greater than the actual cost 
which makes me pretty happy.

I'll share a photo or two
once the books arrive by month end.

And now that these books are caught up 
for the past fourteen years,
I can watch for  a special to create 
additional books one year at a time.

So happy to cross this off my someday-I'll-do-it list.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Be silly.  Be honest.  Be kind."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 comments:

Melody A. said...

What a fantastic space! and great idea of how to fold fabric easily for stacking. Husbands that understand our joy in creating are irreplaceable! Happy sewing from Iowa

Nancy said...

Looks so tidy and organized- a very satisfying feeling indeed. Your book project sounds really interesting- will be watching for when you share them. Helpful tip on folding- keeps it all uniform and easier to look through when you're ready for a project.

LA Paylor said...

I am sitting here with my mouth gaping open! Does it stay like this? I want to do books too but it's a big task to gather all the images. Thanks for sharing the deal. Shelves are magic. Wish you could see the mess that is my studio at the moment. All the boxes are still not empty, I have no room for a sorting table so I can organize it all before setting up systems. Gotta figure that out today. DH did build some shelves for one closet yesterday, but they needed another shelf on top to use the space well. Gotta figure that out too.
LeeAnna

Linda Swanekamp said...

Do you mean you were able archive your blogs in a photo book? Sounds great. Your studio storage makes me fall over in a swoon. I just can't get a handle on my fabric storage.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Wow! That is more organization than I can handle in one post!! You are an inspiration! And, yes those shelves of color just make me smile too!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Congrats on both your newly reorganized space and on your photo books!

Janie said...

Great storage and organizing tips, thanks for sharing!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

I love your folding tip for yardage. Once our move is complete, I need to fold all my fabric uniform. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle said...

Your fabrics are gorgeous display of color. How nice to have all that shelving. Thanks for sharing your folding method. I love making Shutterfly books and have been doing the same thing over the years. It's a fabulous way to document your quilting journey and to enjoy looking at all you've created over the years.

Shelina said...

Your sewing room looks so neatly organized and ready to choose from. You're welcome to come over and organize my room anytime! I have been thinking about printing out my blog in book form, but that would get too pricey. Good idea to make a photo book of the highlights. I have been thinking about getting photo books ready ahead of time for when there is a sale. It is too much for me to do so quickly when the sale is running.

Heidi said...

How neat your fabrics are folded... I'll have to try that too !
And I like the idea of quilt - photobooks. I started to make ones for family and vacations, but hadn't thought about quilts !

Mystic Quilter said...

I have to say I am so envious of your fabric shelves!! Thanks to your demonstration of fabric folding I have made a start on my yardage!