Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Playing With My AHIQ Project




Since cutting 42 wedges for 
my Spotted Winkel project,
nothing else has happened
to move this forward.

Nothing. 




So Sunday afternoon I spent 
several hours playing with fabrics.

I cut multiple 10.5" WOF strips 
from each the background fabrics.

These will be seamed together to create
five vertical stripes laid out this way -- 
wavy grid > lines > scrambled squares > lines > wavy grid.

For now I'm aiming for a 50" x 63" top.

We'll see how that goes - plans have a way of changing.




I also decided that the one 39" wedge circle would
absolutely dominate the quilt - which I didn't want.

So I'll split it and put one half high on the left side
with the other half low on the right side.

That will balance things out and leave
more space for the other circles I want to include.




I'm not going to use the NYB-FG book after all
but I am going to use designs from 
the other two books shown here.



I will, however, make four 10" blocks 
from my well-worn Fickle Pickle pattern.

From that pattern I made
Colors of Joy in 2005,
New Crayons in 2007,
and Spirit Song in 2010.

The fabrics for one of the blocks are in the 
upper left-hand corner of this photo.




The fabrics in the upper center
will form the second block.

(that's the inspirational Winkel toy
sitting in the middle of everything)




The upper group of four fabrics 
will become block three.



And the group of four fabrics at the top
will become the fourth block.




Here are all of the dotted/spotted fabrics
I'm considering for this project
laid out on my cutting table.

The pieces and parts for all four blocks
were cut out and set on my sewing machine
to be assembled in the next week or so.




Once the four Fickle Pickle blocks are pieced
(without their "shoulders" so they're round)
I think I'll make one of these Total Eclipse blocks
from QUILT by Tula and Angela.

I haven't decided whether to use 8 fabrics
and cut 3 segments from each one
or 24 fabrics with one segment apiece.

There will be plenty of time to decide
after I see how the giant Hello Gorgeous circle halves
and the pairs of Fickle Pickle blocks look
on the soon-to-be-stitched-together background.

Again - plans do have a way of changing.

* * *

I'm just happy to have made this much progress.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept."
Ansel Adams

7 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

After seeing your beautiful fabrics all laid out, I am sure that I need to invest in more of the brighter fabrics. Yours look beautiful all laid out there!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow. What fabrics. I have no idea how you can have that much stuff in your head at once and make all the quilt decisions for each one. You are amazing. Gorgeous colors.

Nancy said...

Oh, those fabrics! Wonderful. Your diagram for the upcoming quilt looks like a very good combo of elements. But as you noted, things sometimes change in the midst of the sewing. Your past finishes are beautiful- I'm esp partial to Spirit Song. We will be watching and waiting!

LA Paylor said...

I just looked all over for the fickle pickle... and tried to find the others at the library, then amazon and ordered a string quilt book. I love doing wedges, circles and string quilts and this was very exciting!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am glad someone is doing circles! I love circles in quilts. Love the group of color blocks you chose, great eye for all that. I am looking forward to a year of calmly pulling fabric for a quilt and then just making it......

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh I have enjoyed reading about your process in this post, and seeing your design and fabrics. This is going to be such an exciting quilt!!

Kaja said...

I've been looking forward to seeing your next steps on this - love your little sketch and all the fabulous colour combinations. Keep going!