Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Horse of a Different Color



Last week DH and I were on our way home
from buying garden plants when we 
passed by a large pile of curbside trash.

We both saw the horse at the same time.

It was badly faded and very, very dirty
but all of the parts were intact
so we loaded it into the trunk
(after relocating the plants to the back seat)
and took it home.

Our across-the-street neighbor
saw us pull into the driveway
and the expression on her face 
was priceless.




The next day, DH took the horse all apart
and got out the pressure washer.



Under all that grime was the original dappled gray.




Next came a few hours with spray paint for
the mane, tail, hooves, saddle, and blanket
as well as the base frame
followed by another hour of detail brush work.




The transformation was exciting to see.




The horse now lives in our sunroom
where I'm sure it will be ridden many, many miles.

As you can see in the video,
Little Man knew exactly how to use it.







Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Having fun with our creativity makes us a better artist and a better person."
Gwen Fox

17 comments:

Barb said...

what a fabulous makeover and I loved the video - what a cutie! Ridem' Cowboy!

swooze said...

❤️

Nancy said...

A total transformation, and what child doesn't love a rocking horse? Well done.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Julie, while reading Wanda's comments this morning, your identity picture caught my eye and I wanted to check out your website. I loved what I found and signed up for your newsletter. That horse you rescued is a work of art and brought back fond memories of when our 4 children, now in their late 50's and early 60's rode theirs'. The base was metal, but I like the wooden one better and your paint job, on both the horse and base is awesome. Great job of re-cycling!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hi, Sylvia - and welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you popped over from Wanda's. Your comment came through as a no-reply blogger (Google Plus) so I cannot respond directly to your lovely comment. I hope you see my reply here and email me directly (see link in my profile).

Tired Teacher said...

Well done!

Elaine M said...

Fantastic makeover, love the paint job. Little cowboy is going to have many happy hours on his horse.

Millie said...

Outstanding!

Kyle said...

What a priceless rescue. Now its just giddy up time!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

My mother was the queen of stealing stuff from people's trash! I still do it. Carrie suspects that a lot of my stuff comes from trash piles, but in reality I do go to the store and buy my stuff too. Although I do have my mother's blood coursing though my veins........and I do so love to embarrass Frank........

Mystic Quilter said...

Priceless!! What a good job you both made of the refurbishing!

Judy in Michigan said...

Wow, 2 artists in the same family. Your grandson is a very lucky little boy (and his grandparents are too!!). The horse is so beautifully done.

LA Paylor said...

what vision! I hate that so much is lost to a landfill that just needs some repainting! Good for you. It looks like new. I remember riding horses like this, and those little cars outside grocery stores that went in a circle. It felt like magic.

Paulette said...

What a great transformation - trash to treasure! My brother scored a table saw from the curb last week. The guard was stuck, but after he freed that, everything works fine!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a treat! Eagle eyes spot big bargains!

Louise said...

How fun is that?? I had one of those at his age and adored riding my it. Little Man is making lifetime memories :)

QuiltGranma said...

As a child we had Harry the Hairless Horse, as my next older sis called him. Ours was on the rocker base where as yours won't pinch a kitty tail. Yours looks wonderful now, how about a little pinto variation on the rear for interest?