Week Three of Angela Walter's
online Free Motion Quilting Along
resulted in an actual finish for
Sixteen by Sixteen.
(see link in sidebar for the QAL)
48" x 60"
This quilt was started in 2016 as part of
that year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Since the top was finished,
it has been hanging in the closet
waiting to be quilted.
The challenge for week 3 was curved quilting.
I stitched orange peels on Little Man's crib quilt
but I used a very different method
than the one Angela shared last week.
Max and I learned a lot about subtlety and control.
The curves didn't need to be large -
they just needed to be consistent.
And in that regard,
my choice to pull out an actual quilt
instead of making a practice sandwich
proved to have been a wise decision.
Roughly three "L" bobbins of Glide thread
in Lead Gray were used to stitch the horizontals
and two more were used for the verticals.
That meant lots of practice time.
The back is wonderfully scrappy -
pieced using leftovers from Topsy Turvy
and trimmings of fabric from Dragonfly Summer.
I love the way the texture
makes the back even more interesting.
I was originally going to bind the quilt
using the fuschia-like print in this corner of the back.
But once the quilt was quilted,
it was clear that was no longer the best choice.
Instead I bound it using a concrete-like shade of Grunge
similar in feel to the newsprint alternate squares.
I'm thrilled with the results!
Once the quilt is laundered, it will be soft and cuddly
and perfect for use in the recliner.
* * *
This finish definitely counts as one of my
18 in 2018 QUILTING goals.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Good teaching is more a giving of right questions
than a giving of right answers."
Josef Albers








25 comments:
Did you use an acrillic template or free hand it? Thanks and it is beautiful.
Beautiful! Lots of orange peels. You did a great job.
This is beautiful. I love how the colours flow across the top.
Entirely free hand - no templates were used. (Good question!)
Definitely a wise choice to practice on a real quilt!! What the worst thing that could happen? You get a finished quilt out of the deal!!! Sweet!!
Love this! The texture is just wonderful, and sixteen patches are one of my favorite blocks. That combined with bright colors makes it just about perfect in my book :)
Great quote, that's what a good teacher does for us!
Little Man has a wonderful quilt.
Nice work Julie.
congrats.....the quilting looks great.........
Stunning finish Julie!! You couldn't have picked a better quilting design than this, it just flows over the quilt surface. Beautiful backing as well!
A wonderful quilt! It's a bright & happy scrappy quilt and I love your orange peel quilting.
Great job on the quilting and a beautiful quilt.
great finish. And it was such an appropriate quilting motif, too.
Perfect top for this challenge, great job.
really was a worthy decision. great job!
Great quilting! I admire the courage it took to go for it with a finished quilt top!
... and thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'
The curved quilting was a perfect landscape for this quilt. I am doing the same with Angela's lessons, first a little practice, then onto a child quilt with busy prints, lol. I am very new to FMQ. Love the backing too. I thought it was another project.
The quilting looks great. Lots and lots of practice paid off.
The colour arrangement is wonderful and your quilt design very effective on all these little squares.
Julie, this is absolutely gorgeous, now I want to make one. Great quilting.
What a beautiful quilt! You quilting is perfect, and very well choosed for those tiny squares
Beautiful quilt and beutiful finish - I love the colourful scrappiness! Great binding choice too and what a perfect way to practice Angela's lesson!
Such beautiful color and texture in that quilt! I really like how you organized your blocks.
Oh my goodness...this was wonderful to begin with but the quilting added a lot to make it super wonderful! Congrats on the finish!
What gorgeous quilting!
Post a Comment