Saturday, March 17, 2018

RSC for March - Bright Greens




This is the box of green scraps and partial fat quarters
that I pulled for this month's RSC comfort quilt making.




I edited the mish-mash a bit 
and came up with this plan
for a Jack's Basket donation quilt.

I'll use the noisy checkerboard for backing,
multiple greens for the background, and
the daisy print to frame the pink swirly star.




I'll use this group of strips, strings, and bits
to piece a doll quilt for A Doll Like Me.

I'll include the colorful Jane Sassaman scraps in the top
and partial fat quarter with the green print on the bottom 
for the quilt's backing.

Hopefully there is enough of the pink polka dot binding
leftover from a previous project to bind this doll quilt.




I also found another small stash of light-medium blue scraps
(January's RSC color prompt)
that I'll piece together for another Doll Like Me donation quilt.




But in perhaps the biggest decision of all
was to re-purpose this stack of KF charm squares
that had been planned long-stalled for 
a snowball-designed lap quilt top.

Instead, I will pair the colorful charms 
with the pink/purple print squares
and make lots of half square triangles.
(they'll each finish at 4")



There will be roughly 160 HSTs to play with
once they're stitched, separated,
pressed, and the corners are trimmed;
which means I can make 2-4 small comfort quilts.

These will be counted for February's purple prompt
as well as the not-yet-called-out RSC pink prompt
that will happen later this year.



I found this image online 
(no credit attached to it)
and I quite like the random layout.

I need 63 blocks for a Jack's Basket quilt top
(7 wide x 9 long)
and 30 blocks for a Doll Like Me quilt top.
(5 wide x 6 long)
so . . . 
there are lots of comfort quilt possibilities 
lurking in those colorful HSTs-in-the-making.

* * *

Linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

CLICK HERE to see lots more 
of this month's scrappy GREEN goodness.

AND . . .


Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Quiltdivajulie

11 comments:

Amy said...

Looking forward to seeing how this one finishes. The HST quilt reminded me of a tool that Liz of Savor Every Stitch posted last year. You plug in information, and it gives you a quilt block placement. Here's the link if you want to play with it: http://www.savoreverystitch.com/p/quilt-pattern.html

LA Paylor said...

what a refreshing post! Full of color and good intentions!

Cathy said...

Oh, so much colorful goodness in this post! I can’t wait to see these quilts you’re planning. I did much the same thing this week with larger scraps of green and purple (from last month), and made a donation quilt. It’s under my needle now for quilting, so the reveal won’t be until next week, but I love using the idea of cleaning up larger scraps by making donation quilts. You go, girl!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Your post was a fresh breath of air to me today, so thanks

Marly said...

Such a lot of plans you have; I hope you get them done in the next two weeks. The quilt with the baby looks very like "Postcard from Sweden" (free on Craftsy) and the subject of a QAL at
http://www.mmmquilts.com/2018/02/postcard-from-sweden-qal-step-1.html
It would be great with all those KF HSTs.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

beautiful fabrics and ambitions / plans! :)

Julie in GA said...

You have some wonderful projects planned! Have fun playing with the Kaffe HSTs.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, what FUN you are having in your studio!!

Louise said...

So many pretty scraps! The Kaffe triangles will make such a soft quilt, too. I love the hand on his fabrics :)

JanineMarie said...

Oh, this all looks like such fun. I love how you have a clear idea of how all these pretty scraps will be used.i haven’t seen the Star Bright quilt pattern before. Wonderful pattern for a small quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm a little late in reading this post and love the projects you have planned for the small quilts, such colour!