DH and I made a quick trip
to Bentonville, Arkansas this week
to see the Chihuly exhibit
at Crystal Bridges.
It was well worth the 11 hours of drive time.
Many of the pieces (like these)
were displayed on free-standing pedestals
that allowed viewers to walk all the way around
in order to study them at very close range
and from many different perspectives.
It was really wonderful to see pieces
I had not seen in his exhibits at
St. Louis and Nashville.
Perhaps because of the colors in the mystery quilt
currently on my design wall,
this piece captured my attention.
Shades of pale blue, lavender,
multiple greens, and
touches of silver and gold.
Exquisite.
It was incredibly hot and humid
but we braved the elements
to walk the forest trail.
These Belugas were dated 2017.
I've seen the forms before
but not in this arrangement.
I've seen these at all three exhibits
but I especially liked the way they
were staggered along this rocky ravine
so we were looking down into them
rather than up at them
as in the previous exhibits.
There are over 1,300 pieces of glass in this orb.
The brilliant sun made it challenging to photograph
the delicate champagne shades
but I think you can get a good idea
of how gorgeous this was in person.
![]() |
| You really (!!) need to double click to supersize this photo |
The flat boat filled with glass
is always one of my favorites.
At St. Louis it was filled with
blues and purples
and floated in a musty green pond.
In Nashville it was filled with reds and yellows
and floated on a mirror-like pond
just above a water fall.
Finding the boat filled with so many colors
in the forest with no body of water to be seen
was an unexpected and marvelous surprise.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The technology hasn't really changed . . . We use the same tools they used 2,000 years ago. The difference is that when I started, everyone wanted to control the blowing process. I just went with it. The natural elements of fire, movement, gravity, and centrifugal force were always there, and are always with us. The difference was that I worked in this abstract way and could let the forces of nature have a bigger role in the ultimate shape."
Dale Chihuly









16 comments:
I love Chihuly, the color and creativity, thank you for the beautiful pictures.
Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures.
I was fortunate to see a Chihuly exhibit in Chicago many years ago but it is always fun to see his pieces in different settings. Thanks for sharing your trip.
Chihuly's work is so wonderful! I think those first photos look like threads and bits of quilt trapped in the glass.
how thrilling this exhibit is! Long drive but an adventure! Thank you for all the eye candy this morning!
Quick trip?? 11 hours?? ha ha - you have a different reality than I!! But those are some amazing works of art! I bet it was worth it!
Buffalo had a huge Chihuly exhibit at the Albright Knox about 2000. I was enamored and got to meet him, a true character. My one big trip in my life, I got to see his work also at the Royal Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Well, I signed up for a bus trip to NYC at the end of August to see, among other things, his display at the New York Botanical Gardens. Thanks for sharing such excellent photos!
How on earth do they move that champagne globe, I wonder? How great that you've now seen it three times, and have the chance to consider the effects of the different sites! Worth the drive. :D
We saw some of these in Washington and were so impressed with the colors. It was a treat to see them arranged in the gardens. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy them, too. Isn't it wonderful that they are traveling the country.
Oh thank you for sharing these photos,how lucky you were to get along and see these wonderful pieces of art.
He's an incredible artist and seeing one of his exhibits in person is even better.
What a wonderful day! I love Chihuly displays. Lovely photos.
Fantastic!
I am so thankful you shared these pieces of art. I had not heard of Chihuly before. Now I want to see it for myself!
Look at what I discovered!! Some of his art is very near me! I need to go!!
http://www.ncsml.org/exhibits/dale-chihuly-venetians-the-george-r-stroemple-collection/
Fantastic post! Chihuly is such an amazing artist! I recently visited his exhibit at Crystal Bridges and wanted to share my post: https://everydaywanderer.com/2017/10/09/chihuly-exhibit/
Happy wandering, Sage
Post a Comment