Lynn Harris taught our
Abstract Quilts in Solids class.
We covered all sorts of
liberated quilt making topics
from fabric choices to design ideas.
We learned about floating squares,
Spikey Business (elongated triangles),
the "ish" factor,
curved and wedge-like inserts,
and SO much more.
Everyone in this hands-on class
learned something new from Lynn about
Gwen Marston's liberated techniques.
(Lynn has been a student of Gwen's
for over 20 years now)
Later in the day,
Lynn pulled out her
liberated log cabin blocks
and a WIP log cabin quilt
to illustrate different ways
of combining our small compositions.
I love that I was able to capture
her hands in this photo.
is featured in my one of my favorite
quilt photo ops of all time)
This class was extra special for several reasons.
ONE
I finally broke the barrier and
Mine are Bella Solids by Moda.
TWO
I met long-time online blogging friend Lynn Harris.
Lynn takes the most gorgeous photographs
and makes absolutely beautiful scrap quilts.
She also contributed photos for
BUILD A BARN - like the one
that is featured on the two page spread
at the very beginning of the book.
Lynn also signed my copy of her book.
THREE
I met up with long-time online blogging friend Cherie Moore.
We have taken 2 different classes together in St. Louis -
Lynne Tyler in 2013 and Sujata Shah in 2015.
We've also met up with each other at
the 2014 and 2016 Paducah shows.
(strawberry shortcake for lunch - yum!)
FOUR
I met long-time online blogging friend Heidi Burkhardt.
Heidi and I have corresponded for years.
(we both discovered Gwen Marston
through Tonya's Lazy Gal blog)
but we never anticipated meeting face to face
since Heidi lives in Germany.
(Have I mentioned lately
how much I love
our long distance
blogging community?)
and
FIVE
Heidi, Cherie, and I are all
Charter Members of
and it was
SO MUCH FUN
to spend a day together
playing with fabrics and sharing scraps.
During a break,
Cherie shared one of her long-term quilts
that was just back from the longarmer.
SCRAP SALAD is fabulously liberated
and full of gloriously happy colors.
This was my piece when the class ended at 4:00.
The neutral strips came from Cherie.
The magenta strip pieced
between the neutral segments
came from Heidi.
I love that I have bits of their fabrics
worked into my project.
![]() |
| L to R: Lynn, Heidi, Cherie, Julie |
Thanks to Valora
("The Janome Lady")
for taking this photo of us.
And many, MANY thanks to Lynn
for leading a great class!
* * *
One last note:
Be sure to visit the
for more Chattanooga photos
including a few from the
SSOBB Gallery Quilt Special Exhibit.
Quiltdivajulie






4 comments:
What fun! Looks like you were in the right place at the right time. Yea!
Oh, my!! Such fun and what wonderful things can happen when such bright, creative souls come together in the same place at the same time! I just love this~
I love the result of your "playtime", wonderful colours and shapes.
What a precious time visiting with old friends in person. The playing produced some fascinating results.
Post a Comment