Friday, May 6, 2016

Choosing a Name






I am not in the habit of naming things
like cars and sewing machines, 
but I don't want to keep referring to 
my new APQS George as "George."

(not to be confused with DH's good friend 
George who lives near Atlanta)

After considerable vetting of names,
I have settled on Max.

Why Max?




REASON NUMBER ONE


Max was a large Siamese cat
who moved in with DH's family
back when DH was in middle school.

I first met Max over Thanksgiving break
during my junior year of college
when I went home with DH to meet his mother.

Important Notes:  
DH grew up with cats.
I grew up with D-O-G-S.

After a 10+ hour drive
from Michigan to Pennsylvania
I left my suitcase open on the guest room bed.

Later, when I stepped back into the room,
there was Max, sleeping in my open suitcase.

- I - totally - lost - it - 

"THERE'S A CAT IN MY SUITCASE," I shrieked.

DH and his mother fell over laughing
at how nonplussed  I was.

Max raised his head, flicked an ear,
washed a paw, and went back to napping.

Turned out that Max was ever the gentleman cat
who loved nothing more than fetching a small paint brush
that had been tossed down the basement steps.

Those memories of Max still make me smile 40+ years later.



REASON NUMBER TWO







Need I say more?



Quiltdivajulie

9 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Do try and keep the wild rumpus under control! ;)

Millie said...

Nope. There's another word quilt. "Let the wild rumpus start." Oh gee darn... Isn't this how I got started with a chicken?

Judy in Michigan said...

So happy for you and Max!! Keep us posted on your adventures. I am also very jealous!! Thanks again for the extra trouble autographing your book for me. It was fun to see some of my fabrics in your circle quilt!

Kaja said...

Perfect! That's one of my favourite lines ever.

Kaja said...

Perfect! That's one of my favourite lines ever.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great name!! you an Max will be ferocious friends!

Cathy said...

Congrats on Max!! Wooohoo. Rumpus indeed! Max must live in the Rumpus Room!

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

Oooh aaah.....VERY exciting! Welcome Max!

Lara B. said...

Hahahaha! Those could not be better reasons Julie!