Saturday, July 18, 2015

Scrappy Saturday - Variety Style



I finally sewed the last bits and pieces from Winterberry together . . .




They are now a reversible mug rug.




Next I sorted out and stitched the red blocks for Scrappy Kites . . .

Love the colorful possibilities in this project!

Speaking of Possibilities . . . 
there are several newly completed scrappy journal covers
available over on my Possibilities blog 




Now for the week's main event . . .

Early in the week I pulled out the project box for Fruit Loops,
the 5th of my six 2014 RSC projects.

As I puzzled through how things were going to fit together,
I decided to use my red crumbs and piece new 6.5" blocks
to replace the single fabric red I cut last year.




Voila! 

So much more fun . . .




I also stitched together four oversize four-patches
so I could cut out new brown 6.5" squares.

The single fabric I chose last year was fun,
but it didn't read well with the rest of the color blocks.




Here are Fruit Loop's 12 sets of 6.5" squares on the design wall.

Next steps will be to cut out the background fabrics
and begin stitching the component parts.

(I saved this design from a 2013 issue of Fat Quarterly
because I could use my die cutter for the 2.5" squares and f.g. corners)

More photos next week!

* * *


Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

CLICK HERE to see more scrappy projects.


Quiltdivajulie

16 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

This looks interesting!! I'm looking forward to your posts next week.

scraphappy said...

Looking forward to seeing fruit loop come together. Looks like you are all organized and ready to go.

Mari said...

Looking good! I always admire your color sense! Love the kites especially.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad that you were able to have some RED fun this week!

gayle said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing these grow! Gorgeous stuff going on!

Katie Z. said...

It looks fabulous.

Gina said...

Great mug rug. I love making these. I like the Fruit Loops, look forward to seeing the finished quilt

Gina said...

Great mug rug. I love making these. I like the Fruit Loops, look forward to seeing the finished quilt

Kate said...

Fruit Loops is going to be a fun quilt when you get it all pieced.

Magpie Sue said...

Oh yes, piecing those scraps into fabric to re-cut is going to make all the difference!

Deb A said...

So glad this one came out to play. Looking forward to seeing this turn into a quilt top.

Sheila said...

Love your mug rug and your beautiful blocks!

Nell's Quilts said...

The fruit loops quilt looks interesting. Great idea to make crumb blocks rather than using solid fabric.

Cathy said...

Love the Scrappy Kites. And I think the fruit loop crumbs will make a more spectacular quilt than the single pieces. Those brown crumbs are yummy looking! Is chocolate a fruit!!???

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what a redly goodness post! I love that red with the black and white! And you fruit loops!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what a redly goodness post! I love that red with the black and white! And you fruit loops!!