Saturday, October 11, 2014

Scrappy Saturday - Browns No. 2



The first project this week was to sew together a box full of 1.25" strips.

Warm browns, a bit of gray, a bit of black,
and a few flashes of other colors . . .




Pressed and trimmed, the 48+ strips yielded 
a 36" x 38" almost-WOF-yard of made-fabric.

Note:  The colors are more true in the photos below.




From the made-fabric strata, 
I cut the 8 wedges for my project named Umbrellas Unfurled.

In theory, I knew the plan should work.

I was very relieved when it did!




However, I couldn't resist testing the brown wedges 
with some of the other colors from earlier in the year . . .

So far, so good!




For the ongoing Arrowheads project, 
I pulled these browns from the stash
and used my die cutter to make the 3-each 
from 9 fabrics equilateral triangles.




These are the finished 9-part giant triangles laying on the cutting table.




Again, I tested with two of the earlier RSC14 colors . . .

After these tests,
I'm feeling a little more comfortable about "brown"
being this month's chosen color.


* * *

Two projects done . . . four more to go!

* * *

Linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

CLICK HERE to see what the others have been up to this week

and have a great weekend!


Quiltdivajulie
--------------------
p.s.  I have two items listed for sale on my Possibilities blog - click HERE to check them out.

15 comments:

LA Paylor said...

good job you! I am having more trouble with my pattern this color. It doesn't lend itself to stained glass blocks well. Maybe they will fit in when it's all said and done.
LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Barb said...

Love it...love browns...

Ozjane said...

A lovely end to a lot of cutting and sewing. Fabrics are such fun...better than lollies any day!

Mari said...

Love that made fabric! You always get so much out of the scraps. All your projects look great!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the way you use the made fabric! I agree the browns fit right in to my surprise!

Cathy said...

Oh, I love your new blog heading!

Your brown made fabric looked like a stand of skinny trees. Can't wait to see what you do for the Umbrellas Unfurled.

Sheila said...

Beautiful brown strata and wedges. You are certainly not afraid of color.

scraphappy said...

Your browns are playing nicely with the others. Great start to the month!

Deb A said...

Lots of pretty browns and they are playing so nice with the other colors.

Edith said...

Oh my, you certainly are productive I just love all your brown/rainbow projects, lovely.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a superb collection of browns and I love how they look in the strip set - and cut into wedges.

Lynette said...

You had some really nice browns to choose from. Mine are far drabber and sparse, I'm sure.

Katie Z. said...

The strip set is truly fabulous. Good work!

Kate said...

Both projects are going to be beautiful!

Sally Trude said...

Wow, that strata is a knock out. But then so is the umbrella. I can't wait to see the whole thing unfurl.